Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    louis is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Default Christmas Gifts. How much do you Spend?

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

I am not very imaginative, yet love unique jewellery and find that I spend far too much time looking at gifts I canít afford. I am looking for ideas on what I can make for friends and family as Christmas gifts. With the credit crunch in full flow I want to extend the amount of Christmas gifts I can give, yet keep a bit of change in my back pocket.

How much do I spend? to sum it up in two words 'too much'

Well my husband has been made redundant recently and so this Christmas my wages will have to cover everything so we're just going to put a limit on things and say £10 per person. That is going to be hard as I tend to always spend far too much and think I have got stuff for everyone, then I end up "just getting one more little thing"

craftjuice items

I get all the presents in, then the sales start before Christmas these days, So of course I go and buy even more as I just cant resist a bargain LOL
    DD told me M&S are having a penny bazaar tomorrow for the bargain hunters out there, No idea what they will be selling for 1p though. Should be worth a look.
    Alas I cant go see, treatment no8 for me instead LOl xxx

Alice21 is offline Senior Member 500+ Crafters Club

The full range of special commemorative products consists of five jewellery sets, scarves, purses and knickers; commemorative cufflinks, ties and socks; leather passport holders and leather luggage tags; tea towels and mugs; bags of retro sweets, cans of retro drink, beach toys and beach balls.

The limit is 5 items per person.

Good Luck with your treatment x
    I started off with nothing and I've still got most if left.

www.folksy.com/shops/fluffysstuff

As all my nieces and nephews are now grown up we decided to stop giving them presents so now I just get my two sisters and BIL mum and dad and the great nieces and nephews. On DH's side we just get my two nieces as they are still young. So that saved me a lot of money last year.
    A good idea for cheap homemade presents is to make some jams, chutneys or wine, cookies, cakes or biscuits. Another idea is to buy something cheap and then embellish it or add something. For example a plain t-shirt with added embroidery, beads fabric paint etc. Plain olive oil put into a fancy bottle with herbs, garlic etc. Make up your own gift baskets with shredded paper in the bottom and filled with small things according to their interests.

Melanie

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
    craftjuice items

As I make all my gifts (within reason) I generally do not put a price on what I have spent but do know it is cheaper and I have gifted my time. Maybe I am being tight but wanted a handmade Christmas this year or to buy handmade from on the forum.

lowrane is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

i just suggest you should take help of any experience person or you also take help of search engine to find it.
    Best of Luck

HappySheep is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

I used to be like mila jewellery until I got made redundant! I save some money every month in a web saver account for christmas, and everyone has a budget limit - family and best friends have more than others. I work it all out on a spreadsheet (anal, I know - but that's me!) so I don't overspend (no nasty credit card bills in January!)

I spend up to the budget limit, whether it's bought or homemade (I make cakes, biscuits, jam and sweets as presents too) and if I don't spend the whole amount on one present - so much the better. It is actually very freeing to go shopping knowing I have £8 to spend on a person and when I have spent £6.99 on a present, crossing them off my list as 'done'. None of this "it's only a small box, I'd better get something else". Trust me, two weeks after christmas most people can't tell you what they got anyway!

Also, I've found many people are relieved when they don't get a huge amount from you, as they don't feel they need to reciprocate, and these days, who isn't on a tighter budget?

I try to spot things throughout the year and put them in my 'present basket' until either their birthday or christmas - that helps spread the load, too.

Hope this helps!

Judith
    www.happysheepdesigns.com

Photographic cards, prints and gifts, and hand-knitted/crocheted accessories and clothing

www.busyted.co.uk

Home of Busy Ted! Also find him on Twitter @busytedstuff and on Facebook

bodrighy is offline Senior Member Super mega big crafter

So far we have 6 presents that I got doing trades on Etsy, 4 that Sue has made and I am in the middle of making another 5. Unfortunately our immediate family totals 23 not including us two so we have another 8 to go. We are aiming to make or trade all of them this year if we can. Like many of you money is tight. If anyone who makes things (other than jewellery I am afraid is interested in trading let me know as we are always on the lookout.

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    My Craft Shop: Facebook
    Art fire Shop: The Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information