Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lianne86 is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Question Embossing help for a total beginner!

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hi guys hope your all good! Can't believe how much snow is outside!!

Anyway, i've got a week off uni (exams are finished - woo hoo!!) so i'm planning on experimenting with embossing. I've done dry embossing with the light box and the stencil and it went really well. so i'm looking to start using the powders with the heat gun. Would i only need a heat gun, stamps, ink and embossing powders?

I'm totally new to this so i'm thinking that i need to stamp the image, sprinkle the embossing powder onto the ink and then use the heat gun on it? Is that right? I also read somewhere that i could use a hair dryer but i'm a bit unsure about whether that would work or not!!

Also is there any specific brands that i should buy or are they more or less the same quality?

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions!

Lianne

Seahorse is offline Super Moderator Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

HIya

Yep, stamp picture, sprinkle on heat up powder, remove excess powder and use heat gun on it.

A hair dryer wont work.

You can get a set from Argos for around 20, a heat gun, 1 ink pad and 2 heat it up powder pots.
    Its worth buying this set as the gun itself can cost 30!

Dont know about the best make but I got mine from the Argos set and its been great.

Yeah i saw that Argos set, looked pretty good and at least thats nearly everything i need to get started.

Thanks for your help.

Seahorse is offline Super Moderator Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

I warn you, once youve started you will want every colour ink and every colour heat powder there is available!
    The colour ink under the powder can effect the final outcome, say you have a red ink then use a white heat powder, the result can look pink.

Ooohhh.... i didn't realise that the ink affected the colour.

Thats all i need, more crafty stuff to fill my room up with! Started off as a few papers and embleshments in a folder, now i've got a huge plastic box filled with stuff.

Goodness knows where i'm going to put all the other stuff that i'll need!!

Smile

Welcome to the madness Lianne, I started off with a cardboard box with a few items in in, then a four drawer plastic box on wheels... two years later I have the second bedroom, a desk, floor to ceiling wooden shelving with 12 large plastic boxes just to hold papers and bit's never mind the piles of embellishments, inks, stamps, beads, tools, etc etc... in other drawers around the room. It's great fun!!
    Anice xx
    Funkyhand x
    my website
    http://www.funkyhand.com
    my blog (updated 09/06/10)
    http://funkyhand.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on Twitter
    http://twitter.com/funkyhand

You beat me funky.Ive got 3 draws, then another 4 draws, 2 boxes and a number of bags with everyday mess with items in them strewn around the floor.

Talking Very impressed!!

I can imagine, especially if you do more than one craft.

Well i bought the kit today, was only 18 so even better. Also bought some rubber stamps from the craft shop and i'm amazed at how good it looks... and how easy it is. I thought it would take ages to "set" but it didn't. So i'm quite impressed with it all!

Just need to get more stamps now...

Hi Lianne,
    don't make the same mistake as I did with heat embossing.... I couldn't get my powder to stick to the ink, no matter how quick I was! Then I found out that you need to use pigment ink for heat embossing not dye ink as this soaks into the card too quickly.
    Also I think you'll find a hairdryer won't be hot enough and it may blast the powder off the card!!!
    If you're really getting into embossed stamping go out and buy some Sakura gelly roll pens as they're great for filling in between the embossed lines for a stained glass effect.
    c
    x

Carnie79 is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Hi Lianne

I used embossing inks for the first time when I made my bro's wedding inviations. It is very, very easy to do and great ofr beginners.

Just make sure that you use pigment ink as this does not dry so quickly and the embossing powder will stick to it - any other inks will not work. You can also get embossing ink pens that work in the same way that the ink pads do - only difference is that they are a pen so they enable to to do more tricky stuff like write names or draw pictures on your cards. You used the embossing powder on them the same way you would your stamps.

I would definately buy a heat tool as they are guaranteed to get the job done 100% right, I doubt very much that a hirdryer would work in the same was.

Give me a shout if you need more info.

Thanks!

Leanne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information