Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Worried over self employed registering.. help please

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hello..

I am a little unsure of what to do now...

I am technically unemployed right now. My hubby is in retail and doesnt earn huge amounts so we are on benefits. What i make i dont really make a huge amount of profit on just enough to cover costs etc. I really enjoy it and have had a web site which does a little bit but not a lot. I have a fan page ion facebook which also does a little here and there. Last year I did my 1st craft fayre at a local school which was good (well for me). I havent registered as self employed because i am so worried about doing it. We only just scrape by financially as it is and having recently had our 3rd child things are a little tough just now. Should I register?? i really dont want to stop but at the same time i need to live

Does anyone have any experience with registering as self employed who is currently on benefits?? Does it effect them?? Am so confused now i dont know what to do for the best

help

Caron x

Lucy's Designs is offline Senior Member 500+ Crafters Club

I'm not on any benefits so I'm not sure of the details regarding that, but my advice would be to ring the Inland Revenue asap and speak to them about your situation. I spoke to them yesterday and if you don't register within three months of your 'business' starting you can be fined 100, which is the last thing anyone needs right now.

A wild guess would be that you're benefits would be fine as you'll be making so little at craft fairs (not to sound mean there but none of us are making millions lol) that you probably wouldn't pay tax on your earnings anyway, but I really think the best thing is to check and be up front with them right from day one, much better than being found out months down the line and being fined

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy's Designs View Post
    I'm not on any benefits so I'm not sure of the details regarding that, but my advice would be to ring the Inland Revenue asap and speak to them about your situation. I spoke to them yesterday and if you don't register within three months of your 'business' starting you can be fined 100, which is the last thing anyone needs right now.

A wild guess would be that you're benefits would be fine as you'll be making so little at craft fairs (not to sound mean there but none of us are making millions lol) that you probably wouldn't pay tax on your earnings anyway, but I really think the best thing is to check and be up front with them right from day one, much better than being found out months down the line and being fined
    Thank you. I will have to give it up I think because i dont have 100 wil have a look at their web site now but if they will dock our benefits then its a no go for me. My family comes first xx

bodrighy is offline Senior Member Super mega big crafter

I registerd yesterday as online selling is monitored so they can find out and then the fine will come in. If you are claiming bebfits you need to tell tehm but you can still get tax credits and benefit if self employed apparently. My wife ialso in retail as you put it. I was unemployed but started selling so felt I had to. They offered to put me on a 1.2 day course at the local taxk office to explain it all. When I rang them they just wanted to know name address, what name I traded under and when I started earning. I also was worried but they are pretty good and once on it isn't a problem. Insurance is 2.50 a week payments though I was told that if I earn less than a certain amount, which I do, this can be scrapped. Need to look into it.
    My advice would be to go for it as every little earned is a help and it also helps keep your sanity.

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    My Craft Shop: Facebook

Thank you
    I am just reading about small earning certificate of 5000 or so between april 2009 and april 2010 and there is no way i do that. I make mine based on little profit because it 'keeps me sane' it reaches out..
    Did you ring?? or did you do it on line??

I read on line gave up and rang and apologised for being stupid. Sge filled the form out as I gave her the info. It's either an 0845 or an 0800 number can't remember which, it's under contacts on the site. They really are pretty nice....I suspect it's if you try and pull a flanker they get stroppy. And yes you need to be earnign a fair wack (by our standards) before you start paying tax or losing anything. It also gives you a boost as already I feel I am 'crafting for a purpose' Oh yes, you can still get an employed job at the same time apparebtl no problem

Pete

Can you get an appointment with an independent benefits advisor, at a CAB?

I used to work in benefits, (many years ago, so things will have changed) It was Housing Benefits I worked in, which is means tested, and it could get quite complicated with self employed people, because their benefits were affected, but the person would be earnung different amounts each week.

It's different to Tax, and you might be best to get proper advice on how your benefits may be affected before you decide what to do.
    Celia
    I can't be creative and tidy too
    www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
    The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
    Jencel on Facebook

nattynetty is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

I agree that it's worth talking to someone (possibly CAB) to find out the ins and outs of being self employed and benefits. I may be COMPLETELY wrong having never claimed working or child tax credits but wouldn't these increase if you were self-employed possibly making up for any other benefit you may lose?
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Thank you all. I have made an appointment with CAB for next week and talked to a friend who works in benefits and looks like it will all be ok. Sooooo as soon as I have talked to CAB and digested what they say I hope it will all be sorted. I was in such a panic because i really didn't realise i was doing anything wrong..

Looking forward to sorting it all out and being 'official'

Thanks for all your help

Hugs Caron x

Quote Originally Posted by CarLisaCrafts View Post
    Thank you all. I have made an appointment with CAB for next week and talked to a friend who works in benefits and looks like it will all be ok. Sooooo as soon as I have talked to CAB and digested what they say I hope it will all be sorted. I was in such a panic because i really didn't realise i was doing anything wrong..

Looking forward to sorting it all out and being 'official'

Thanks for all your help

Hugs Caron x
    I know the feeling. I had been 'trading' for a while and then founf out that if i went on for three months I was likely to be fined. Scary.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information