• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Langara
    100+ crafts club
    • Mar 2009

What's in a name

I've just had a meeting with the local Enterprise Coach bloke who is based in our local community project. I was telling him about my business, party plan based but running classes/ workshops and clubs/groups to raise awareness of what I do and told him the name of the groups and he laughed.

I know it isn't the best name but I can't have Rubber in it as some parental filters will not allow websites with Rubber in the title as it comes up as a fetish site (no joke a friend can't get on to a rubber stamping workshop site cos of this) so I thought 'Warrington Stampers' did what it said on the tin.

The groups are open to all papercrafters and revolve around stamping, the enterprise coach guy says Stampers could be dancing or a wealth of other things and doesn't say papercrafts, but I'm worried something else won't say rubber stamps.

So I was thinking of changing to 'Warrington Paper crafters' even though I have paid over the odds for my warringtonstampers.com and it doesn't point you in the direction of thinking rubber stamps. Yes I sell things other than stamps (card, pattern paper, embelishments, punches etc) but the main focus is stamps, but people attending a club night and bringing their own things to work on don't have to be stampers.

Help! Does stampers stay or go?
    Warrington Stampers
    41.67%
    Warrington Paper Crafters
    58.33%
    Other, please post suggestions
    0.00%
    Last edited by Langara; 14-05-2009, 02:15 PM.
    Helen
    Independent Stampin Up! Demonstrator
    my blog: http://helending.blogspot.com/
    my website: www.warringtonstampers.com
  • boden girl
    100+ crafts club
    • May 2009

Hi helen,
    I think your name is fine! ..he sounds like a fool!

Comment

• jencel
      Mega Crafter
      • May 2009

Hi Helen,
      I have to say I like Warrington Paper Crafters. It tells you just what you do, whereas Stampers could be something else, maybe a country dance.

As far as domain names go, you can direct anyone who uses the old name to the new name site. I've no idea how they do this, but a techy person would be able to do it.

Hope that helps, you'll probably get plenty of different opinions now you've asked !
      Celia
      I can't be creative and tidy too
      www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
      The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
      Jencel on Facebook

Comment

• sparkysdad
        Banned
        Super crafter
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by jencel View Post
        Hi Helen,
        I have to say I like Warrington Paper Crafters. It tells you just what you do, whereas Stampers could be something else, maybe a country dance.

As far as domain names go, you can direct anyone who uses the old name to the new name site. I've no idea how they do this, but a techy person would be able to do it.

Hope that helps, you'll probably get plenty of different opinions now you've asked !
        Yes I think "stampers" suggests Morris Dancing type activities.. theres no real issue with using 2 names, you can just have web traffic directed from one site name to your main site.. and I doubt "warringtonpapercrafters.co.uk" is a high fee site name.. www.123-reg.co.uk will do warringtonpapercrafters.co.uk for £5.98 for 2 years.

Comment

• nattynetty
          Super Moderator
          Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
          • Jun 2005

I think anyone who already does cardmaking/scrapbooknig will know instantly what Stampers means, they are tuned in to seek out anything related to their hobby so definitely wouldn't dismiss it as a dance group - I remember being really exciting seeing a Stamp Shop only to discover it was a shop for people who collect postage stamps - doh!

If however you're trying to attract complete newbies then perhaps Papercrafters is better, although I wonder how many newbies would know papercraft is card-making & scrapbooking....a few visitors to my shop assumed it was origami
          Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

• Langara
            100+ crafts club
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by sparkysdad View Post
            Yes I think "stampers" suggests Morris Dancing type activities.. theres no real issue with using 2 names, you can just have web traffic directed from one site name to your main site.. and I doubt "warringtonpapercrafters.co.uk" is a high fee site name.. www.123-reg.co.uk will do warringtonpapercrafters.co.uk for £5.98 for 2 years.
            My husband said it sounds like Morrisdancers after the bloke laughed. I forgot about 123-reg, thanks!
            Helen
            Independent Stampin Up! Demonstrator
            my blog: http://helending.blogspot.com/
            my website: www.warringtonstampers.com

Comment

• gbell
              Mega Crafter
              • Jan 2009

i like the papercrafters idea too
              www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

• Craft-Biz
                Banned
                So much more than a moderate crafter
                • May 2009

Warrington Stampetes perhaps

Hi,

Bit of a tough choice, I think you need to somehow keep the stamp bit in.

As far as the old website, can you not just do a domain redirect without the hosting with your existing hosting provider. I use godaddy and have used this option on some sites of my own.

Cheers
                Marc

Comment

Working...
                X