Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    scooter1 is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Default selling to supermarkets

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

has anyone tried appraching supermarkets to sell their cards? if so how did you go about it?

sam

Seahorse is online now Super Moderator Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Hmm, never doen it but our branch of sainsburys has a gift shop attatched to it and it looks like they like to sell craft things so I have been tempted to ask there.

Also my local craft shop looks liek they sell things that their customers make.

I cant see big supermarkets saying yes as Im sure they can afford to buy in mass produced cards.
    Maybe try local charities, churches or Post Office.Smaller more independant shops may say yes.

swirlyarts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Hi,
    I did think about it a while ago but I decided that it wouldn't be worth it. Supermarkets are notorious for trying to buy their stock at rock bottom prices to maximise profit so you probably wouldn't make a great deal of money off selling your work. What you would get though is increased visibility of your stuff - particually good if you have your own website that people could visit.
    If you really want to go ahead then I would contact your local branch and speak to the manager there - they would let you know if it is viable. You could approach them as a 'local producer' - Asda in particular are into the whole local produce thing at the mo - well in my local Asda they are!
    What do you make and if it took off, would you have the time/inclination to keep up with demand - thousands of people a week potentially looking at your goods!
    Hope this helps!
    Lynsey
    Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
    My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
    My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Cool

hmmmmm good thoughts there, i already sell to a craft shop in the city library where i live but would really like to get my stuff into a place where people specifically go to buy a card, my local sainsburys do sell handcrafted cards as do morrisons, newsagents a bit too mean (no offence to newsagents out there who will sell them !!)to take anything as they say that they would have to charge too much for a handcrafted card and it wouldnt be competitive with their other mass produced cards. i have tried florests and bookstores without much luck craft fairs i think are where other crafters go to get ideas so i tend to stay away from those. soooooo any suggestions most welcome and any approaches that are tried tested and work also welcomed.

Seahorse is online now Super Moderator Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Garages, as in petrol stations, Im sure ive seen hand made cards there and its convenient for people who always forget a present/card and need to get one quickly as they drive to the birthday event.

Cool

hey good one never thought of that thanks

chris_shawn100 is offline Junior Member Moderate crafter

it is a good idea,why not contact the manager of the supper maket to see whether it is ok to do so?
    http://www.syhandicrafts.com

major in producing antique wood/metal handicrafts.

SteveG is offline Member So much more than a moderate crafter

Supermarkets and even department stores would all be work the question. What would you loose by just enquiring to the manager ?

I know for a fact that in our local Boots that 'stands' can be set up (only for the staff) on a table in the dining room with a money box. People like what they see, put the cash in the box (A bit of trust there) and take the card. While its not selling to the public at large - if you make sure that there is some contact information available with each product (Web addie or normal address) each and every one of them could become repeat customers either through the stall or via your contact details.

Good luck with it!
    Terry Pratchett quotes:
    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”
    “It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living.”
    “In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”
    Craftables online craft shop
    Craftables online craft forum

swirlyarts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG View Post

I know for a fact that in our local Boots that 'stands' can be set up (only for the staff) on a table in the dining room with a money box.
    Schools too. Where I used to work we were always getting things left in the staff room - book clubs etc, so it may be worthwhile approaching the local school. Teachers are notoriously busy too so cards/small gifts would be great.
    Last edited by swirlyarts; 05-09-2006 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Did the thing with the brackets on the quote again!

jenig12 is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

My hairdresser sells tons of cards in her salon
    J x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information