Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do I get started???

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hi I am completely new to knitting (apart from having a go at scarfs when I was a kid which all ended up as wonky dolls blankets with holes in, and then my mum always cast on and off for me!) I really want to give it a go but have no idea where to start. Is it possible to learn from a book (if so any ideas of good ones) or maybe the internet. or do I need to find someone to teach me?
    So if any of you could give me some hints and tips I would be really grateful.
    thank you

craftyfoxni is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

Hi bead fairy sorry you are so far away from me or it would love to have a go at teaching you to knit but the best i can offer is to have a look at youtube and there is some good basic vidoes for casting on and off and the bit in the middle!!! let me know how you get on

Linda60 is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

I have loads of knitting books but think online tutorials probably best (I would google learn to knit) and see what comes up. I will have a go in a mo if you like but please do not hesitate to ask specific questions if I can help with any patterns etc. let me know.

Linda

Linda60 is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

Quote Originally Posted by Linda60 View Post
    I have loads of knitting books but think online tutorials probably best (I would google learn to knit) and see what comes up. I will have a go in a mo if you like but please do not hesitate to ask specific questions if I can help with any patterns etc. let me know.

Linda
    try looking on www.learn2knit.co.uk I think you will find this really helpful.

Linda

I learned using knittinghelp.com which has loads of videos and is really simple and brilliant. My 1st project was an intarsia jumper with thomas the tank on the front and stripey sleeves - you dont have to stick to scarves if they dont inspire you! There are things I would do better if I was doing it now but ds still loves it 2 years later (getting a bit small and raggy now tho lol)

thanks for your replys. I will have a look. Is it best just to buy some cheap wool and needles to start with so I can practice Before I embark on a project?
    I think once I get started i will be ok it's just knowing where to begin.

Have a look in your local charity shops they often have odd balls of wool and always have loads of knitting needles really cheap. If you look on the wool label they will tell you which size needles to use.
    I would try first with some chunky wool and larger needles so you can see what you are doing easily.

Melanie

Thanks Silvermaid. I hadn't thought of that. I will have a look and then go on the internet for some instructions and let you all know how I get on. I expect I'll be asking for more help again soon!!

Munchbun12 is offline Member So much more than a moderate crafter

Thumbs up cards by design

Hiya Bead,if you don't see any knitting needles in the charity shops you must ask them if they have any as where i live in Derbyshire they have to leave them upstairs (health and safety issues) I also find that bamboo needles are best and they last longer too,i don't know if anyone else would agree. Good luck with the knitting x

Yeh. Have to say I've never seen any. I suppose they could be used as a weapon to hold up the shop!!!!!
    I will go around the charity shops on my day off and see what I can find. Quite excited now!! So I hope I don't turn out to be totaly hopeless!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information