Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

Thread: Slumpy's Moulds

skuttle is offline Member So much more than a moderate crafter
    craftjuice items

Default Slumpy's Moulds

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

I've seen a few moulds from Slumpy's in the USA that I'd like to order, but I'm a bit worried about the delivery costs to the UK. Has anyone any idea what their delivery charges are like? I've emailed them twice to ask how much it would cost for the moulds I'm interested in (3 larger moulds, approx 10" long by 6 " wide max.), but they haven't got back to me. Has anyone who may have ordered from them found them reasonable ?

I've never dealt with Slumpy's but I see their minimum order is $75 so you might get stung with customs too. I'm not sure I'd want to deal with a firm that hasn't bothered to reply after 2 emails either.

greannancrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

I sometimes buy from the USA, not moulds though.
    Regarding customs the best the to do is either go on their website or phone them to see if the items will carry import duty - not all things do.
    The carrier this end often charge about 10 handling - which I have never understood.

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

craftjuice items

I did have a look at the HMRC site, and it looks as though Customs Duty is only payable on goods over 120, so I'd be OK with their minimum order value, although I'd still have to pay import VAT.

I know what you mean about not replying to either email, not great customer service...but they have a couple of moulds I'd really like that I can't get over here, but not if postage is going to be ridiculous!

Purpleglass is offline Member So much more than a moderate crafter

Not ordered anything from slumpy's but have drooled over some of their stuff often. Let us know if they ever reply, some of their stainless steel moulds are interesting!

Bon

Default You know you can make your own moulds.

You know you can make your own moulds. I've made some for my wife and friend from a very coarse clay seems to work fine. Robin Top Pot Supplies

dabbler2002 is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Default slumpy's order

I order from slumpy's because I needed some new molds. If you are going to make a large order then it is great. They have molds the no one else has. I got 6 small molds and 10 pounds of glass. I was short so I order some glass as well and we all know it ways a lot. The shipping was 20.00 US. That was good I think. Also they base the shipping on wait. I called them on the phone and ask them about how much it might be. They said the high could be up to 30.00. When I got the BIG box I was wowed that it was only 20.00 to ship. I will order from them again if I need a large order. I hope this helps you and good luck.

Wendy

craftjuice items

Thanks for your replies. $20 sounds good, less than I would have expected, so I think it might be worth doing.
    Toppotter, I had thought about making some of my own moulds, but I don't know anything about the different clays. Could you tell me what type of clay would I need to use?

Default Your basically looking for a coarse clay usually known as crank

Your basically looking for a coarse clay usually known as crank or perhaps raku clay. Whilst the clay has a lot of grog (pre-fired materials) included in it, it is still possible to get a smooth finish. And any way your going to spay/brush on a layer of batt wash on top after bisque firing to stop your glass from sticking. I threw my wife's moulds (basic open bowl shapes) but there's no reason why you can't roll a sheet of clay 10mm thick and drape it over the item your using as model, mould it to shape then let the clay stiffen but not dry completely, (remove the model as early as possible, clay shrinks by approx 12%) and finish the surface. Bisque fire your mould as normal clay 1000C then batt wash. If possible try to keep the same thickness of clay through out the mould, to help avoid thermal stress and cracking. If you want more advice or I havn't made myself clear give me a ring at Top Pot Supplies 01952 813203 regards Robin

craftjuice items

Thanks Robin. The info's great.
    Unfortunately, my Hotstart Kiln only fires to 850c, so it looks as though it won't be an option for me after all. I'm sure other glass people might like to have a go though.

Thread Information