Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    woodtattoos is offline Super Moderator Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Default Question for all current/budding pyrographers & people who buy pyro crafts...

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

You may all be able to help me a little!

My current book project is still all guns blazing and I'm just taking stock of what I've written so far and what areas I've got planned to cover. So I thought I'd just do a little market research while I'm on 'pause' for a few minutes...

So, firstly... to all current pyrographers:

What areas would you look for to be covered if you were buying a pyro book? Are there any techniques or subjects that you do not feel are well represented in existing books?

To all people who have expressed an interest in starting pyro, or are in their early stages of learning:

Are there any techniques or areas that you struggled with when you started?

To the buyers of pyrography crafts, or crafters in other media:

Would you consider buying a book on the art of pyrography? What might sway your decision?

I don't need massive answers, just a few bullet points so that I can check if the topics are already covered in my concept plan. Hopefully I've been very comprehensive and will have already addressed everything that gets suggested here!

Si.
    Wood Tattoos
    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
    Facebook
    Flickr
    Twitter

Moonbeam Angel is offline Senior Member Super mega big crafter

I don't do pyrography but I might be swayed to buy a book about it if I could see pictures in it which may give me ideas with my craft (mosaics).

Also clear concise instructions for beginners that may make me want to take up the craft.

Hope this helps!!!
    Diane
    Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

debsjeans is offline Senior Member 500+ Crafters Club

If I was considering getting in to Pyrography I would want the book to have projects with ratings from beginner to more advance so I knew it would grow with me.

Also would want ratings on wood as to what a beginner should start with and what wood I should advance to as my skills grow.

and information on suppliers.

kazzells is offline Senior Member 500+ Crafters Club

Hi
    I have done some pyography on and off and i have bought a couple of books too. The projects are the main thing that i would look for as well as the designs, where they take you through the whole project from start to finish maybe with a troubleshooting box for or a help section.....think this would help if you just starting out then progress onto more advanced peices later on. It would be good to have a section on how to fit the wires properly, with hints and tips as this is the area i stuggled with at first and maybe the advantages/disavantages of using a solid point or a wire.
    Sorry to ramble but really excited that a new pyro book will be availible, lots of luck with it and let us all know when its published!!

kazxx

woodtattoos is offline Super Moderator Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Thanks to all for the comments so far. I must be doing something right as I've covered most points raised at present... and the main focus of my book is a step-by-step project to accompany each chapter so that you can practice the skills and techniques covered at each stage.

Si.

kazzells is offline Senior Member 500+ Crafters Club

Hi Si
    Forgot to say it may be an idea to have a gallery of begginners work, to the advanced so if you are a begginer, you have something visual to aim towards in future peices.
    Going back to my other post regarding the troubleshooting maybe photograph the mistakes as when you start out you do make alot of them ( I made a trees worth!!)just so you know that it a mistake, as it is easy to get disheartened if it gos wrong....as in most cases its easy to put right. hope this helps
    kazx

I did some with a soldering iron in youth group about 15 years ago, would like to have another go (maybe not with a soldering iron).

I assume you just draw the design onto a bit of wood, I know you can get different effects but thats the basic bit isnt it? If not maybe tell me how thats wrong! The bit I need help with is finishing, do you have to varnish? What if you are doing something like a chopping board that will be used for food or a childs toy that might be chewed? How would you finish a piece if its intended for outdoor use? I have found a few bits on the internet but nothing very solid, have also bought a book which talks about varnish but not much else so I would prob buy a book if it had a good section on finishing.

Thats a great idea, I havn't come across many books on pyrography.
    I agree with debs about discussing different woods. Including factors such as the coloration of the wood (which will affect the contrast) and also the intensity of its grain. Ive used many types of woods, and the effects and results that can be acheived do vary considerably from wood to wood, even the same species of wood can vary to some degree depedning on its age and its size, as this can affect the grain.

One thing i have personally been interested in, is the history of pyrography and have found that information on this can be hard to come by.

Be sure to mention safety measures too. As you know, there are many hidden dangers!

In order to cover as much as you can about the artform, it will indeed take some work, so all the best with it. If theres anything i could help with, feel free to let me know.

Goodluck!

Thanks, Nader, I've already written about types of wood and important safety factors etc. I've touched on the history a little as well.

35000+ words and rising at the moment... taken a break this evening after nearly 2500 words written this afternoon.

Si.

I'd like to know about varnishing for outdoor use (actually need a tip on this
    quite quickly if I'm going to give my brother a house number sign for his birthday this week!)

Also, for finishing off things like a bread board - I wouldn't want to varnish something in the wrong thing if someone intended to use it - that could end up with yucky bread!
    http://www.samigailsgifts.co.uk/
    Handmade personalised gifts for all occasions created by the art of pyrography
    My Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information