Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fair last night

Default Fair last night

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Well I went to a craft fair at a primary school last night and it was distinctly average!

I was the only (yes, that's right, ONLY) person there who was selling hand-made things - everything else was either bought-in stuff being sold on, or make-up type things - avon, virgin vie, usborne books..

The woman on the left of me was selling jewellery & handbags on at a profit which she'd bought at a market and to be quite honest I can only describe it as junk! Yet she sold loads - I just can't understand it?

In the end, I did ok - covered my table costs and made a tiny bit of profit. So not a wasted trip. But why do people advertise as craft fairs - when it just wasn't??

Poo!

How annoying, not a craft fair at all then! Sometimes the term is used far too loosely, calling it a Christmas or a School fair would have been more accurate.

At least you made a small profit. It's funny how some people would rather buy junk than handcrafted products, but there will always be people who prefer quantity rather than quality & not everyone appreciates quality work when they see it, the downside of being at that sort of fair rather than a proper craft fair I guess.

What a shame though.
    "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
    Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

At least if it is honestly labelled a craft and gift fair then you know that 2/3rds is probably not going to be crafts!! I think people get a little confused about the term craft.

Sorry to hear the fair wasn't great for you.

It annoys me too when fairs are advertised as 'craft' fairs and half the stalls have bought in stuff.

I am doing a few Christmas fairs which are clearly craft & gift, so I expect the usual bought in goods, but I think craft fairs should be just that.

I'm currently trying to explain to a lady via email why I don't think she will have much luck getting into craft fairs with her imported jewellery - she keeps telling me they are handmade, and I keep saying yes, I accept that, but they are not made by you they are imported from the far east therefore don't count as a 'craft' for the fairs

Claire

Years ago a craft fair used to only have handcrafted stuff. The only problem was that it was full of knitted jumpers, dolls and teddies with wonky faces, loo roll dollies, peg bags and aprons made from grannies old curtains, and lavender bags.
    People got the impression that handcrafted meant naff !! So they got used to buying factory made stuff.
    Nowadays there are such great craft supplies available and a whole new range of very good crafts being made. You only have to look at the pictures on this forum to be be enthralled. But a lot of the public still want to buy cheap mass produced items.
    Also a lot of the organizers are not craft people themselves and so don't seem to know what the difference is. I recently got into selling at the local art center, which sells origional paintings and prints, but out of 4 jewellery sellers ( in only 12 stalls) 2 were selling all bought in stuff, as well as a handbag seller. I just kept telling eveyone that all my stuff was handmade by me and could not be bought anywhere else and hoping it got through to them.

Melanie

buffybaskey is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

aawww sorry it wasnt great, i agree though shouldnt of been craft fair, i hate going a craft fair to find it basicaly a car boot xxxxxx

Tip Top is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
    craftjuice items

Oh dear! At least you know now and you didn't make a complete loss!

I've been fortunate as all the ones I have attended have had the emphasis on hand crafted! So there is hope out there!

Poppy4lee is offline Senior Member 500+ Crafters Club

I agree that 'craft' should mean 'craft' but, sadly, the term seems to encompass absolutely everything now I've got nothing against mass produced items as such but organisers of fairs should be honest about what is being sold. Some years ago I was seeing a Business Link advisor and he suggested that, rather than use the word 'craft', it may be better to use a term like 'artisan products' as it is suggestive of more upmarket items that have been produced by a crafts person. Maybe we should have big banners on our stalls stating each item is individually handcrafted and not mass produced .
    Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Yes it annoys me as well. I did one in the summer billed as a craft fair & most of the stalls were actually brick a brac second hand stuff! I also put my name down to do a fair next month that was advertised on here as a 'craft fair' then I by chance found out is actually a gift fair & a lady is going to be selling cheap bought in jewellery so I shan't be doing that one now!!

I hope it works out better next time, put it down to experience, at least next time you book a craft fair you can ask 'only hand crafted' as specific question.

Sarah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information