Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

Natacha is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Default Transporting curtains

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hello All, I'm new here. I live in Kildare, Ireland and have made curtains for a few years mostly for myself and my family but have recently made 2 pairs of french pleat velvet full length curtains and a roman blind for my brother in law who lives 150 miles away. He is coming to collect the curtains to bring to his house. What's the best way to transport them? should I dress them t minimise creasing? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Natacha

Critchley is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

Natatcha, Can't help with that one but someone will be along soon with the solution.
    Nice to see you.
    Carol

I was once told if you were packing skirts or dresses for a holiday to always fold then across the middle horizontally not vertically as the creases would fall out easier with the weight of the skirt and would also not show as much.
    I would also lay tissue paper or brown paper in the folds so they won't be so sharp.
    Otherwise you could do what my niece did with her wedding dress and put the back seats down in the car and lay the curtains flat in the back on top of a duvet or sheet with another sheet over the top.

Melanie

I would pull up the pleats and fold them down the length to follow the pleats and then loosely loop them in half or thirds, (keep this to the minimum) to get them in the car. You could loosley tie a cotton off-cut round the middle just to keep the curtains from unfolding until they are hung. I hope this makes some sense.

Natacha is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Thanks for that Amanda. I'm afraid I don't understand though. I'm not very good at visualising!! What I think you mean is dress them?? Thanks a million for responding. It's surely something that any professional curtain maker must deal with when getting the curtains from her place to the customers but didn't come up with anything after a search in google.

Natacha

sharon is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

Default transporting curtains

Hi, sorry if this reply is a bit late but my internet has been down for 2 weeks & I've only just got access back.

Anyway, if you're transporting curtains in a vehicle do it this way:-

tell your brother to bring 2 single sheets & a couple of cushions with him
    lay a single bed sheet on the floor in the house or on a table
    lay the curtain on the sheet
    fold each side edge of the curtain into the centre
    fold each outer folded edge into the centre again
    fold one outer side over to meet the other outer side
    keep the curtain as straight as you can (sometimes difficult with fancy headings!)
    fold over the sheet to encase the curtain to keep it clean.
    DO NOT FOLD THE CURTAIN IN HALF HORIZONTALLY IF YOU CAN HELP IT- YOU WILL GET A CREASE WHEN YOU COME TO UNWRAP THE CURTAIN. IF YOU NEED TO FOLD IT IN HALF HORIZON. THEN PUT A CUSHION IN THE FOLD TO MINIMISE CREASING
    If you have room in the car, lay the front passenger seat down & lay the curtain across this seat & onto the rear seat, this will keep it as creasefree as you can
    Otherwise, lay the curtain across the boot of the car & use the cushions inside the fold you will need to make to fit it in the boot

This is how I would transport my curtains professionally unless I packaged them up in plastic wrapping tubes

Hope it helps

Sharon

Thread Information