Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default A sad day for Textiles in Schools.....

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hi Folks,

I work at a local Secondary School and we were told this week that textiles (or fabric craft as the Head called it!) will be axed from the curriculum as of this September.

I`m really gutted about it. I had such a wonderful textiles and dressmaking tutor at School (we`re going back a few years!) who inspired me and lit a flame which has been with me ever since.

My collegue is likely to be made redundant (possibly me too but can offer another subject) and what annoys me is that not everyone is good at Maths, Geog Science etc. What about the kids who are good with their hands.....how are they supposed to show their talents?

Really upset about it actually.

C.

beadsbydesign is online now Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
    craftjuice items

That's really sad.
    When I was at school, the subject was called needlework and was very much get a pattern and make it up. There was very little creativity involved.
    My son is in his final year for GCSE's and has taken textiles. He's the only boy, but he has loved the subject. It's a really creative subject with design and manufacture processes taking up a good chunk. Joe is dyslexic and chose the option because of the flexibility of the subject.
    They take basic pattern designs and then add and alter their own flourishes. Joes created some brilliant items obver the two years and has really developed skills.
    I'm so glad he got to do it when he did.

Thats really pants. But it's happening everywhere.

One of my Mum's friends, who was my cookery teacher at school ended up teaching Art and Resistant Materials as Cookery was ditched.
    As a result of parents ranting and raving it was bought back into the schools curriculum. Though, this was many years ago.

I went to an all girl's school and Textiles was really popular.
    I hope the students and parents can come together and get it reinstated.
    I've never needed bloomin Algebra in my life, so why hasn't that been axed, where as textiles teaches really useful skills.

Good Luck, and i hope something can be changed.
    Av xx
    Sprinkles Sparkles

I am sorry to hear that. I hope you can keep your job.

It is a shame that textiles is being dropped, at my school people who were into art and design weren't really catered for, even though the practical subject are equally important to some students. I did a textile design degree but never did textiles at school only as part of my art 'A' level, so there is a way but just makes it harder. I completely agree that not everyone is into the real academic subjects and/or sport, whenever I went to a careers advisor they didn't have a clue what to advise when I said I wanted to do something creative.

What is your other subject?

Seahorse is offline Super Moderator Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Thats absolutely ridiculous!!!!

Seems all people think we need/want to know about is where the planets are and how to add x and y to make w!!!

Absolute sillyness.
    Itl be art or H.E. for the chop next.

beadsbydesign is online now Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
    craftjuice items

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    I've never needed bloomin Algebra in my life, so why hasn't that been axed,
    Bet you have !!
    I said that to my old maths teacher (who now teaches my son) He said to me "what do you do for a living?" When I told him he said that I was probably so well taught that I didn't even recognise the algebra I was using.

Think necklace with repeat pattern x legnth = algebra to work out how many beads I'd need to complete the design!

Unhappy A Disgrace...

....that's awful.

I'm going to have words with Himself, as he's Chair of Governors at our local secondary. I know first hand that sewing is still popular at our school, because my MinL runs one of two fabric shops here, and she supplies the school.

I wonder if schools can keep it if the demand is there?

I loved it at school. Sewing went under the grandiose name of Fabrics & Fashion at my school, and the teacher was Mrs Ainslie. Mrs A inspired me to greater things and she got me started at craft fairs. I did my first craft fair at our local primary school when I was 15.

How awful to lose these skills......

Jules
    Apple Tree Crafts
    www.appletreecraftfairs.com

You're right about the algebra, I have used it when I was a textile technician many moons ago, I think I was working out some sorts of ratios to make up dyes or something can't quite remember now but it was definately algebra. Surely there's room for both the academic and practical subjects in schools.

I use a design bored to count my beads. I always borrow the ones in bead shops to design my necklaces there!
    I honestly don't understand it even if I might use it without knowing!

But on a serious note, im not one to say much about learning at school. I didnt want to be there, left at 15, not 16. 3 GCSE's, and never regretted it.

I really think that creative 'hands on' lessons should be more available. I now go to college just to learn hands on crafts, just as it wasn't around when i wanted to do it.

Not everyone can be academic. I worry so much about the kids to-day at school who don't have the ability to pass all the exams that are thrown at them.

There is so much pressure put on them now just to keep the school up there in the league tables.

I would think nowadays they should be encouraging children who show I practical ability not just academic. What's wrong with learning a trade . Anyone tried to get a decent plumber/electrician/painter and decorator recently.

It really annoys me that the system doesn't encourage these children.
    I worked with people with degrees and I worked in a shop and they couldn't get a job with the qualifications they had. That doesn't seem fair on anyone including the children that the schools encourage.

We definitely should have an education system that overs equal oppourtunties to all children regardless of ability.

This has touched a bit of a nerve with me .
    I am the mum of two children one who alway's struggled (but was good at art/drama/C.D.T) and another who is as bright as a button and sails through everything but the school never acknowledge number one's ability's.

Anyway I hope the parent's at your school shout from the rooftops for the children who need to be taught practical skills in life and would maybe see them with a job.

I of course hope you dont find yourself out of a job.Cos we need people in this world to be able to pass on these skills.

Cheers Janice.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information