• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mummyemma
    Junior crafter
    • Mar 2008

sculpy

Hi I was just wondering has anyone found sculpy to be really hard to work with i conditioned it yet within mins it had gone hard and crumbly again, I tried to use it in a push mold and it was a total mess. I have all this stuff about the place and have yet to make somthing !!
  • 06cal23
    So much more than a moderate crafter
    • Dec 2007

Have you tried fimo? I know the fimo soft is much more pliable and once cooked the fimo classic is very stable and brittle

Comment

• craftyjan
      Super crafter
      • Mar 2008

i havent tried sculpy i use soft fimo which i find works okay
      Jan xx

http://craftyjan.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Art n Crafts
        Moderate crafter
        • May 2008

I'm looking to use Sculpy, it is the one suggested by Pat Secrist for sculpting dolls heads
        Life is nothing without friendship

Comment

• jasmine beads
          Junior crafter
          • Jul 2008

i use fimo soft too and i find i never need to condition it for very long at all,not like in the old days when you were playing about with it for hours.

Comment

• figurines-sculpture.com
            Moderate crafter
            • Jul 2008

mix the two?

Has anyone ever tried mixing together sculpey and fimo? I do this quite often..... but then polymer is not my area of speciality, and I haven't used fimo soft yet. A few years ago I was a professional doll head sculptor, and used sculpey. It was such a mess I reverted to pottery clay (potclays 1150) then made my own plaster moulds which I supplied the manufacturers (Celia and Alberon) with.

Pete
            Figurines Sculpture, Insights Into the Making of Collectibles

Comment

• Pauline@weddingtreasures
              Mega Crafter
              • Aug 2007

I always use Fimo soft - I cant' get on with the classic fimo as it takes too long to condition.

I did used to use sculpey a while back but not really for my figurines.......I think you really do need to condition it for ages and even then if the clay is too old that could be why its crumbling after a short while.
              Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

• carrie-anne
                Junior crafter
                • Oct 2008

i use super sculpy for modelling. as long as you roll it out thin and use small peices to build up it doesnt usually crumble.
                try warming your hands while your working with it.
                God must be an artist, why else would there be so many colours?

Comment

Moderate crafter
                  • Jul 2008

Polymer Clay

Hi Carrie-Anne

Don't you find sculpey too soft to work with (not enough 'resistance' to the tools and also hard to smooth out - leaves bumps and finger prints and unevenness?

Peter

Comment

• carrie-anne
                    Junior crafter
                    • Oct 2008

get a bit of chicken wire and make it into a little loop and attach it to a stick of some kind. then drag this gently across the sculpy and it smooths out all the bumps.

scuply responds alot to the temperature ofyour hnads so try not to let them get too cold or too hot. nice and cosy is best temperature.

if you find its getting too soft put it down for a while to cool down and dry a bit from the moisture in your skin.

i als use tools like garden spokes for tying plants to to keep them straight, a metal top from a beer bottle for adding texture like hair and fur etc (the serated edge), manicure sets are a great little tool kit. and thin paintbrushes are great if you use the wooden tip and the edge of the wood for moving the sculpy around.
                    God must be an artist, why else would there be so many colours?

Comment

Moderate crafter
                      • Jul 2008

Sculpey Tips

Great tips, thanks very much. How do you stop it either under-cooking (therefore weak) or overcooking (brown at the edges).

Peter

Comment

• nikkisnoveltygifts
                        So much more than a moderate crafter
                        • Feb 2008

I quite often mix sculpey with a little fimo soft. I condition it by running it through my eberhard faber 'pasta machine' into sheets. The more you do this, the more workable the clay becomes. If it is still crumbly, you could try adding a little 'mixquick' available on ebay and in many craft shops. I actually much prefer fimo classic to the soft clays as it picks up less dust and fluff and lint etc from the air. I also prefer the firm texture. Hope you get sorted soon and make some superb sculpey creations to show us!!
                        See my Happy Reflections wedding cake toppers and more at http://www.nikkisnoveltygifts.com

Comment

Working...
                        X