Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sculpy

mummyemma is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Default sculpy

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hi I was just wondering has anyone found sculpy to be really hard to work with i conditioned it yet within mins it had gone hard and crumbly again, I tried to use it in a push mold and it was a total mess. I have all this stuff about the place and have yet to make somthing !!

06cal23 is offline Member So much more than a moderate crafter

Have you tried fimo? I know the fimo soft is much more pliable and once cooked the fimo classic is very stable and brittle

i havent tried sculpy i use soft fimo which i find works okay

I'm looking to use Sculpy, it is the one suggested by Pat Secrist for sculpting dolls heads

i use fimo soft too and i find i never need to condition it for very long at all,not like in the old days when you were playing about with it for hours.

Default mix the two?

Has anyone ever tried mixing together sculpey and fimo? I do this quite often..... but then polymer is not my area of speciality, and I haven't used fimo soft yet. A few years ago I was a professional doll head sculptor, and used sculpey. It was such a mess I reverted to pottery clay (potclays 1150) then made my own plaster moulds which I supplied the manufacturers (Celia and Alberon) with.

Pete

I always use Fimo soft - I cant' get on with the classic fimo as it takes too long to condition.

I did used to use sculpey a while back but not really for my figurines.......I think you really do need to condition it for ages and even then if the clay is too old that could be why its crumbling after a short while.

i use super sculpy for modelling. as long as you roll it out thin and use small peices to build up it doesnt usually crumble.
    try warming your hands while your working with it.
    God must be an artist, why else would there be so many colours?

Default Polymer Clay

Hi Carrie-Anne

Don't you find sculpey too soft to work with (not enough 'resistance' to the tools and also hard to smooth out - leaves bumps and finger prints and unevenness?

Peter

get a bit of chicken wire and make it into a little loop and attach it to a stick of some kind. then drag this gently across the sculpy and it smooths out all the bumps.

scuply responds alot to the temperature ofyour hnads so try not to let them get too cold or too hot. nice and cosy is best temperature.

if you find its getting too soft put it down for a while to cool down and dry a bit from the moisture in your skin.

i als use tools like garden spokes for tying plants to to keep them straight, a metal top from a beer bottle for adding texture like hair and fur etc (the serated edge), manicure sets are a great little tool kit. and thin paintbrushes are great if you use the wooden tip and the edge of the wood for moving the sculpy around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information