PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Confused about certification!!

Sweetpea01
14-03-2008, 09:07 AM
HELP!

Im about to start with my soap making and already have quite a few people interested.

However Ive read a couple of the threads on here about certification, which I know i need to do, which is fine but can somebody please tell me where i need to start!! as i dont have a clue!!

Im contacting my local trading standards for there advice but I would just like to know the starting point.

All advice welcomed!!!

Sweetpea01 x

Littlegems_cm
14-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Hi Sweetpea,

Check out this thread... it's got loads of useful information.

http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3803

Cx

Soapwitch
14-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Hi,

There are a lot of regulations and things to get your head around before you start to sell anything. Just to add an update to that thread, the last I heard John Hopkins from Innovant was a little swamped with work and not taking anything new on.

Best of Luck

Leanna

Sweetpea01
14-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Im still a little confused! However!!

I order my products from thesoaptub, and Ive got an e-mail address of a lady that does workshops etc so im going to give her an e-mail as she also deals with certification, EU regulations etc!

And Im also going to get in touch with my local trading standards office for their advise.

I think my main problem is getting started! What is the first step!

x

Soapwitch
14-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Before starting anything I collected all of the information that I needed. Ingredients are expensive and so there is no point in creating lots of products to then find out that you are using something in a quantity that is not allowed. For example, your fragrance or allergen amounts might be too high causing the product to be unsafe for sale. As well as the safety assessement you will also need to consider the weights and measures act as this seems to be the one that trading standards are the most interested in.

A google search for the cosmetics and toiletries act will soon find you a copy, I would print it and then read it until your eyes hurt!! It took me a few read throughs before it made any sense!!

All of the regulations do make this a tricky business to be in because they have to be followed regardless of the size of your business!!

Leanna

Sweetpea01
14-03-2008, 01:34 PM
I understand where your coming from entirely!!

The products ive bought are kits to get me started! ive resisted buying anything else until i understand everything properly! Fortunately my partner is helping me so im not on my own!

Ive sent an e-mail for advice and hopefully i should be getting an answer fairly soon and possibley doing a workshop!

just_mai
17-03-2008, 01:50 AM
first of all I presume you are selling melt and pour? and not cold process,

cold process takes time and money to get it right and to perfect it that you are comfortable in selling it, ie make at least 200 batches before you even contemplate selling cold process and you need at least a year of making soap, so that you know in 12 months time what you recipe will look like, smell like and if it goes rancid or not.

while you are doing all that and for melt and pour, get the mds sheets for all the ingredients you use, know what allergens are in your fragrant or essential oils and make sure that they are uk grade and the colours are uk grade.

when you have got all that together, and you make each batch of soap,
you then need to set up a pif file product information file,
on that you need each ingredient used, where you bought that ingredients and when you bought it, and the date and batch number of the soap you make,

then you need a pid which is your method of manufacturing your soap, how you go about it what the label looks like, and what packaging you use.

then find a list of chemists and submit the mds sheets, the pif and pid to them for all the varieties of soaps and different scents and additives you want to use in your soaps and ask for quotes.
When your happy with the quote then get them to do your certificate, you will also need a copy of the chemist cv.
Try going to a the new uk forums, http://z3.invisionfree.com/Candles_Soap_n_Scent/
or www.fresholi.co.uk and get more information
but best of all research and research again, because you can never know enough about making soap.

your certificates can cost anything from 160+vat to +600+vat depending on whom you go to and how many different scents and additives are used
and soap bases etc.

Sweetpea01
17-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Yes i am selling melt and pour.

Thanks for the information, I already have a list of chemists to eventually e-mail.

Is it correct in thinking that each type of soap, i.e. colour, smell etc has to be sent away to be tested.

just_mai
19-03-2008, 04:10 AM
no you will only need a couple of samples but that depends on the chemist you choose.

My one asks for around 3 samples one full size packaged and labeled as you would sell it.

The Soap Fairy
23-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Hi

I got my certification through The Soap Tub. They are a bit slow at getting back to email enquiries. I actually phoned them in the end and was given the number of Sarah Janes who is the lady that prepares everything for you. The cost for soap certification is 125 - bit costly but she prepares all the documentation for you (18+ pages long). Once she has submitted the draft document you are legally able to sell your products. She then emails through the document with you name on and off you go. Takes all the hassel out of everything. I was going to contact John Hopkins myself as I had his name via another website - he is the guy that actually does these ones through the soap tub. I honestly did not know where to start and like yourself was totally confused.

Simply hassel free - one phone call - pay - draft document emailed to me - final certification emailed through - sale sale sale. easy.

Hope this helps - they also do another one for bath bombs, salts. milks which is another 125 but if you can afford both then you have a great variety of products that you can make and sell

Regards
Donna