PDA

View Full Version : Press releases?

Focus on Life
07-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Ooops, maybe I should have gone and done a thread search first?

...oh, what the heck, I've started so I'll finish in Magnus style :)

Does anyone have any experience of doing Press Releases? I've never done one, heard of them, dont really know where to start but wondering if it's a good thing to have a bash at with your help?

Thanks
Shaz x

sweet
07-03-2008, 08:30 PM
i dont have a clue! But if someone does then that will be great lol :D

sounds like something you should go for, it might get your craft 'out there' more!

hmmm, i wasnt v.helpful was I...I just dont like seeing a post unanswered!

BeadsbyLili
07-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Depends what it is you want to do I guess... i.e. if it was some sort of announcement like opening a new shop a good place to start could be your local paper - I am sure if you ring them they will take details or point you in the right direction. If you mean get an article about you or your work in a publication such as a magazine... then again I think ring them or email them to ask how it works.

If this thread doesnt get many answers it may be worth PM-ing someone on the forum with press experience (like JBJB or Funkyhand...?)

TYP
07-03-2008, 08:51 PM
This is something that has been at the top of my 'to do' list for a couple of weeks now, and was given this link as a starting point
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A4288944
although I am finding it difficult to write about my own business in the third person without sounding totally naff. I have printed a pack of other material to go with it, but I am definitely procrastinating as much as possible with this one, it's not easy!

JBJB
07-03-2008, 08:58 PM
I've had press releases through a variety of ways.

1) Ring up your local paper with a story about your business. The business section of local papers are always desperate to have a story about a business that isn't middle-management related (a new estate-agency opening etc). However, you will have to have a story angle rather than just blatant advertising.

2) I spend quite a lot of time trawling websites associated with my products. I then send out an email saying who I am and do they want to do a story about me? I must admit, I haven't had much success with this one so far, but who knows when an editor of a magazine might have a gap to urgently fill?!

3) Some of my press articles were as a result of a competition I won last year. It entitled me to 300 worth of work from a PR company in London. Obviously, I got lucky with this one!

Some times you've just got to have bare-faced cheek!

If you do get any interest, be prepared to have hi-res shots of your products ready to email over at the drop of a hat. Also, I think most magazines like you to have written most of the article yourself!

Focus on Life
07-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys, thats a great start, I didnt even know where to begin! Whether you just rang them or emailed them or wrote to them... :)

I'm not opening a shop but I was thinking that, with some of the pieces I do (like the war veterans commission), that might go down well with some newspapers/magazines with it having a personal story behind it and with the product seeming (so far, at any rate) to be quite unusual?

And I dont mind writing an article myself so that should hopefully stand me in good stead then

And cheers for that link Typ, looks good, off to have a read of that asap!

If/when I have a bash, I'll keep you posted of course! :D

Shaz x