PDA

View Full Version : Webshop recommendations??

EMEvans
18-02-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm looking into changing my website shop as my contract is up in October and i'd like to have a new one up and running before then.

At the moment i use lycos which gives me a template shop, upto 20 catergories and 100 sub cat pages and upto 1,000 products. It has lots of features but i'm just not advanced enough to use them. All this costs me 17.50 a month.

Ideally what i'm after is another template shop as i couldn't do it from scratch, easy to use, more available catergories and more product space. Other features such as shop by theme and manufacturer too.

I would also like to beable to add a gallery to it and beable to let people pre-order items.

I don't mind if it costs the same as i'm already paying (or less) but i really don't want to be paying out anymore.

I have also thought about paying for someone to set one up for me but i really can't afford the initial outlay, so thats out the window :mad:

I have googled and there seems alot out there but just wanted to see if anyone here has any recommendations for my needs.

Thanks for any advice in advance. :)

EMEvans
19-02-2008, 10:46 PM
just bumping incase this got missed but if not no worries

sweet
19-02-2008, 11:42 PM
theres another thread about with some website info, i'll see if i can find it!

sweet
19-02-2008, 11:43 PM
http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9317

this might help

s.x

EMEvans
20-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Thank you for your help. I bought mr site a while ago but didn't like it so i'm after a more comprhensive service. Think after trawling through loads i may have found one suitable.

Cheers

Sparklez
20-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Have a look at mine, my partner set up the templates for me so that I could update them myself.

It's built with Adobe GoLive, which is great because you don't need to know any html, you put in place what you want and it does the html for you.

All I'm paying for is my hosting and the website registration, which cost a total of 70 I think.

If you could get someone to build the templates for you, you could do the rest yourself and save some money.

HTH
Carol

ladyluckjewellery
21-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi Emma,

I'm afraid I can't recommend anyone, but I hope you don't mind me asking for your advice?

I have my webhosting and domain name with Lycos, although I haven't got a website up and running yet. I was thinking about using the Lycos shop facility as it seems quite easy to use and I'm no technical expert at all:D

What do you think of the Lycos shop, has it been easy to set up and add new products etc? Also, is it possible to have an 'about me' page, gallery etc, or is it just a shop? I wanted a site where I can write a page or so about what inspires my jewellery and my other hobbies etc.

Sorry to be a pain asking all of these Q's but I don't want to fork out 17 a month if it's not what I need, especially when I'm still trying to get established.

Thanks,

Claire

AlexandraB
21-02-2008, 06:08 PM
My partner made my website and shop. Its run on a content management system so I can update the whole website content myself without having to know any technical stuff. PM me if you are interested in having one like it and I'll get him to work out a quote etc.

EMEvans
21-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Hi Claire

TBH i don't like the lycos shop. I'm pretty sure it can do more than what i can do with it but it's not that simple to use. The basic stuff like adding products etc is easy enough but as for other features on there - well i just can't do them.

My main problem is that it is US based and alot of my customers never enter there full address as it asks for things such as address extension, state, zip code etc and it confuses a lot of them.

The other thing is it's a yearly contract so you couldn't just change your mind etc.

The one i'm going for isn't brilliant but it allows me unlimited catergories and products which is one of the main things i'm after.

Alexsandra - thanks for the offer but i've found something that will suit me now.

JBJB
21-02-2008, 08:38 PM
You could try asking Mel from beadsbylili (http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/www.beadsbylili.com)

I've seen her website style used a couple of times on different sites, so I'm guessing it's a front-end package that she can manage herself.

Say I sent you
:D

EMEvans
21-02-2008, 08:41 PM
sorry JBJB - which one is hers as theres none named beads by lil.

JBJB
21-02-2008, 08:43 PM
D'oh !

http://www.beadsbylili.com/

ladyluckjewellery
22-02-2008, 10:27 AM
That's a bit of food for thought on the Lycos shop then - I didn't realise it was geared towards US shoppers.

I just want something really easy so I think I'll take a look around a bit more. Alexandra, I might contact you for a quote sometime in the future, I'm not in a position to get the site up for the next couple of months but I'll definitely get in touch.

Claire

AlexandraB
22-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Okey dokey :)

My partner is still putting the finishing touches to the system, which is fine for me (as I'm a willing Guinea Pig) but it isn't really polished enough for a paying customer at the moment, but it will be soon so just let me know when you are ready for a quote.