PDA

View Full Version : Display tips?!

Focus on Life
07-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Can you lovely lot help me with some ideas please?

I've only done one small fair so far and the display did look nice and I remembered to have plenty of leaflets & did a little competition to generate a list of potential customers etc BUT...

...now I have some bigger samples made up and I'm looking for some tips & ideas on how to display some large framed pieces which are designed to be wall-hung so dont have their own frame stands on the back

I'm booking as many fairs this year as I can manage, earliest is 23 Feb, and I guess I wont often be placed near a wall I can strategically "lean" things against!...

Bricks? Woods? Sticky back plastic....all suggestions welcome!

Thanks
Shaz x :)

linz
07-02-2008, 01:58 PM
How about an easel? Ikea were selling some stand alone ones for 2 and 3 a month or so ago.

beadsbydesign
07-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Table top easles. If you have a The works near you they have a selection at very reasonable prices.

ilovecrafts
07-02-2008, 01:59 PM
could you make (or get someone to do so) an upright folding board thingy.
not explaining this very well, but was thinking of 2 wooden uprights, joined with some folding trellis, then a base for each upright to make it stable.

depends on the weight of your pieces of course, but I used some folding plastic trellis on the wall to then hang various bits on for display in the house/craft area. saved drilling too many holes in the wall!

Hope you can understand what I mean:mf:

goldy1
07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
something like this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Table-Top-Display-Stand_W0QQitemZ200196665448QQihZ010QQcategoryZ1304 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

swirlyarts
07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
There's a Works in Burnley and that's not too far from you!

Focus on Life
07-02-2008, 07:22 PM
could you make (or get someone to do so) an upright folding board thingy.
not explaining this very well, but was thinking of 2 wooden uprights, joined with some folding trellis, then a base for each upright to make it stable.

depends on the weight of your pieces of course, but I used some folding plastic trellis on the wall to then hang various bits on for display in the house/craft area. saved drilling too many holes in the wall!

Hope you can understand what I mean:mf:

Yeah I think I understand, my fella aint bad at knocking things up (so to speak) so I'll see what he thinks

An easel could be great - my biggest frame is 20" x 16" though so not insubstantial - I'll have a look at the table top ones but, if I needed a heavier floor standing one, do you reckon a typical fair organiser might allow me to put it up next to my stall? - I'd ask beforehand too o course

Cheers everyone, how great is it to have all this help at the end of your wires?! Thanks for the Burnley pointer Swirly, just up t'road!

Shaz x :mf:

TYP
07-02-2008, 08:49 PM
I was going to say "I use easels" but I see I was beaten to it!! I also use plate stands for smaller pictures (wire ones, wooden ones...). Every fair I've been to has allowed me to stand a large (3 x 4 foot) picture on the floor somewhere around my stall.

Focus on Life
07-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Cheers Typ, I know the organisers of the Warrington fair I've booked for Sept have said they need my table cloths to reach the floor so you cant see any untidy boxes n stuff stored under the stall so I wondered if just standing the largest frames against the stall would be a no-no too

But Ive just been looking at piccies of some table top easels and they might just do the trick, I'll have a look at some in real life and get sorted

Thanks!
Shaz x

TYP
07-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Glad to help. All fairs I've done prefer you have material to the floor, I use a sheet as a base, and then put a prettier cloth over it. I also learned to ask if I could have a table in front of a wall, rather than a floating table in the middle of the hall, so that larger pictures /spares can be stood against the wall if necessary. It can get a bit tricky in the middle of a room, especially if there's not much room between stalls.
Good luck with your fairs this year :D

TYP
07-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Oh, and just one more piece of advice if you don't mind..! The first few fairs I did, several people advised me not to take a book as if you sit behind your stall looking uninterested, people won't buy, but the very first fair I did (small village in Leics) had literally NO customers from one hour to the next, and I was SOO wishing I had brought something to look at!!!!

Tip Top
08-02-2008, 08:21 PM
If I remember Focus - I'll bring my camera so I can take a pic of my stall (Swirly did it on our first ever fair!) and I'll take one of yours too if you want - with you on it!!:D

With a bit of luck we may be close so we can have a professional natter as it would be good to meet you!;):D

Focus on Life
08-02-2008, 09:39 PM
If I remember Focus - I'll bring my camera so I can take a pic of my stall (Swirly did it on our first ever fair!) and I'll take one of yours too if you want - with you on it!!:D

With a bit of luck we may be close so we can have a professional natter as it would be good to meet you!;):D

Yeah, that'll be cool Tip Top, I was chuffed when I saw you were going to be there - so looking forward to meeting up! - we'll do some unprofessional nattering when no-ones looking too!

...now if I could only stop playing with my new Blogger and make some more things to bring along! Oops

Shaz x :):)

yrfavclaire
25-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi there,

Im new to making and selling cards and i hope you dont mind but i was reading your posts and wondered if i could ask you a question? I thought your idea about doing a little competition to generate a list of potential customers was ingenius...and i just wanted to pick yr brain (if im allowed!) and ask what kind of competition it was and if it went down well?

I have my first ever stall booked at a craft fair in yorkshire in about a months time and im trying to think of extra ways to generate customers...and so any advice you could give about the competition you did would be very much appreciated!

thanks in advance

claire x

Tip Top
25-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi there,

Im new to making and selling cards and i hope you dont mind but i was reading your posts and wondered if i could ask you a question? I thought your idea about doing a little competition to generate a list of potential customers was ingenius...and i just wanted to pick yr brain (if im allowed!) and ask what kind of competition it was and if it went down well?

I have my first ever stall booked at a craft fair in yorkshire in about a months time and im trying to think of extra ways to generate customers...and so any advice you could give about the competition you did would be very much appreciated!

thanks in advance

claire x

You'd probably get a better response if you started a new thread rather than reviving an old one as this is an old thread too.

And (welcome)!

suejenkins
07-07-2008, 01:57 PM
These are some good ideas, might pinch a few!

thanks guys!