PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my Etsy shop!

Focus on Life
03-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Seeing all your comments re Etsy and taking glasskanvas advice, I'm gonna start my first online venture there! Could I pick your brains re my stuff being made to order though?

* Most of my framed pictures/cards/gift items are made using the customers own photos. I have samples made up that I can photograph to submit so would I say I have 1 for sale then give instructions on emailing their photos & requirements to me for their order?

* ...but then if (no, when!!) someone orders their version of that particular sample, my stock would reduce to 0, does it cost me resubmit that back to 1? Or am I best saying I have more than 1 to "sell" in the first place?

Heaven knows if that makes sense to anyone but me! But I know lots of you make commissioned pieces although I need to search Etsy some more to see how that works in practice - if anyone fancies writing a newbie guide to Etsy, it'd sell like hot cakes!!!

Thanks everyone, cant wait to get started, hopefully prior to my fair on 23 Feb so I can declare "TAKE A LOOK AT MY SHOP"!!!

Shaz x
:)

Focus on Life
05-02-2008, 04:58 PM
I really, really apologise if its bad-form to bump your own thread up again....hopefully not?!....but I'm just dead keen to hear if anyone sells one-off commissions on Etsy or whether its designed more for non-personalised items?

Thank you thank you thank you! (yeah, creep, creep, creep!)

Shaz x

Poppy4lee
05-02-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure but, I suppose if you're able to make more than one of a particular style, I would say that you have more than one in stock but I would also point out that, as your work is based around the customer supplying their own photo, then it will take X amount of days to turn around - I think that's what I would do ~ or at least something along those lines.

swirlyarts
05-02-2008, 11:17 PM
There are lots of people who sell commissioned items on Etsy - I've seen art work made from a photograph of a dog and portraits drawn from photographs of people. I can't think of the actual sellers at the moment but I'm sure if you type in portrait you will come up with some - you might be able to glean some advice from them!!

Focus on Life
05-02-2008, 11:58 PM
I didnt think of searching under portraits, thanks Swirly, I'll try that and maybe under personalised as well

Cheers Poppy, maybe once I find some other sellers who do commissioned pieces, I'll see how they manage quoting their stock levels

I'm off to see what advice was given to Wonky Toad now cos he mentioned frames & glass breakages so that's something I'll need to take extra care about too!

Thankee kindly!
Shaz x :):)

Roseberry Crafts
12-02-2008, 02:14 PM
you could also try searching for "custom listing for". I've tried this just to be nosy and as a way of seeing what really sells on Etsy and it could be another way of finding people who could help with your query.
Good luck!

Focus on Life
13-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Cheers for that idea too, I'm starting to get a good idea now of the forum guys who do personalised stuff so I'll try to have a look at their listings as soon as I get a mo!

Shaz x

Ballerinacaz
03-03-2008, 08:31 PM
* ...but then if (no, when!!) someone orders their version of that particular sample, my stock would reduce to 0, does it cost me resubmit that back to 1? Or am I best saying I have more than 1 to "sell" in the first place?

I think that if your stock were to reduce to 0 then it would cost you another 10p to get your stock back up to 1. But if to start with, for example, you said you had 3 of one item then it would cost 30p to put that item up in the first place.
I would recommend saying you had one stock to start with then updating it if you need to, then your item will be up for longer aswell as being nearer the start of the lists and stuff when you put it up again. Does that make sense?

Focus on Life
03-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Yeah I think that make sense thanks Caz - if I said I had 3 in stock, it'd still cost me 3 x 10p to list those 3 items anyway - so I might as well list 1 at first and pay my 10p - then if I'm lucky enough for it to sell, I just relist another 1 for 10p and it has the benefit of it being relisted so its near the top of the lists again

Thanks for that, it'll get easier once I've had a bash! :)

Shaz x

Ballerinacaz
05-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Yeah I think that make sense thanks Caz - if I said I had 3 in stock, it'd still cost me 3 x 10p to list those 3 items anyway - so I might as well list 1 at first and pay my 10p - then if I'm lucky enough for it to sell, I just relist another 1 for 10p and it has the benefit of it being relisted so its near the top of the lists again

Thanks for that, it'll get easier once I've had a bash! :)

Shaz x

Yep thats right and if you post it again it'll go up for another 4 months so it will be up for longer aswell.