PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Strike 18th -25th

glasskanvas
01-02-2008, 08:21 PM
It's all kicking off again on ebay apparently. The forums in the US are calling for the strike and the UK boards have already started urging people to join in.
They're striking about Ebay stopping sellers from leaving negative feedbacks as much as the hike in fees too..
http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?messageID=1011750612&#1011750612

..is anyone going to join in?
I can safely say that I won't! The Royal Mail strike last year cost me a lot of money, money I can't afford to be losing at the moment!

icecreamgirl
01-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Wow, never seen that before, think it's a bit strange.. i mean people have the choice whether to use e bay or not...
I don't use ebay for my craft stuff but i do sell second hand stuff on there when i have a clear out.
A strike i don't really see the logic, if people use it regulaly and strike for a week dosnt it just mean they will list more stuff in the weeks before and after the strike?
So really no effect to the e bay bigwigs....

glasskanvas
01-02-2008, 09:33 PM
I don't see any point really either but at least people are making a stand.... I just can't afford to! I'm moving away from ebay slowly anyway. Hopefully by the end of the year i'll be off it all together, that's my protest at least!

colourart
01-02-2008, 10:07 PM
I hope it makes a difference because I don't like the idea that sellers can't leave neg. feedback. Its not right to assume buyers are bad, and sellers are good and I always get that feeling from ebay. I shall not be joining the strike however.

glasskanvas
01-02-2008, 10:20 PM
I think the whole feedback thing has become a bit of a joke now anyway. Most people don't look at feedback anymore...well judging from a few of my counterparts. I've pretty much resigned to the fact people are now going to use feedback to 'review' items as apposed to give appropriate feedback on the transaction. I expect to get negatives...and I expect to get more negative blackmailers...as I did today. A buyer contacted me to say that unless I completely refunded them they would 'neg' me. I politely told them to 'do one' and contacted ebay.

fragg1es
02-02-2008, 12:43 AM
By May I wont be trading there, I want to be in control of how I run my business. Its not just the feedback, its the fees and the reduced visibility for small sellers.

I am also hoping to get rid of Paypal too. Under new rules Paypal will have the power to withold funds in your account for up to 21 days or until you leave positive feedback.

So I will not list anything on that week and by May I will be gone. I had always planned to quit but this has given me the push I needed. I totally understand people cant do it if they rely on it as an income. The only problem is if people do not act nothing will ever change and ebay will keep coming up with these daft changes.

There are some interesting blogs and articles floating around on the web and google will come up with some interesting alternative auction sites if anyone is looking for another venue. :)

just_mai
02-02-2008, 04:15 AM
While i agree with the principles of the strike, I also think it's a waist of time Ebay are not going to lose out, and the best way to deal with is to say so in their silly surveys that they do, every one should be able to give feedback, if it's required, I don't know why the don't scrap feedback all together.

people only use it to blackmail, no one ever really looks at it, so what's the point of it,

I do sell quite a bit on ebay, and charge more than my webshop but people buy more from ebay, but I also have etsy and there are a few more auction sites out there anyway.

Ebay are just trying to get the monopoly like Microsoft especially as they are now trying to buy yahoo, just because they can't cope with Google, I'll stay with Google over yahoo anyday

JBJB
02-02-2008, 12:01 PM
I dipped my toe in the murky ebay water again for the first time in ages last week. I put a few of my things on, and it's just a complete waste of time in my book.

The only interest I've had were from people wanting me to sell for less than half-price. Why would I do that?

I also don't feel comfortable with being dictated to as to how I conduct my business by ebay. Basically, if you are a seller on ebay, it will only take your competitor a few weeks to leave sporadic negative feedback which the seller is unable to respond to and under these new "laws" you could have your account suspended because you've got too many negs.

I was always under the impression that ebay considered it to be a "self-policed" site, with members reporting etc. Yeah, right!

There is one tip though - if you receive a negative feedback and you respond to it (in your own account, not the buyers) with a profanity, ebay will automatically withdraw it so that it's not visible.

glasskanvas
02-02-2008, 05:09 PM
There's already so much misinformation out there about the policy changes....one thread i've read says funds are withheld till the buyer leaves feedback which is ridiculous even for ebay.
I think this strike would be far more effective if it was held a few months after the changes. At least then people will have tried the changes out as people seem far more upset about the new feedback rules than the extra charges. I wonder if people realise that you can now recieve a positive feedback from each buyer per week, instead of just one per person. Good news if you have repeat buyers!

colourart
02-02-2008, 07:33 PM
There's already so much misinformation out there about the policy changes....one thread i've read says funds are withheld till the buyer leaves feedback which is ridiculous even for ebay.

I don't see how that can work because if you don't receive payment then you can't leave feedback as they may be a non payer.

The bit about receiving positive feedback per week rather than just once per person is great. Much better.

I think its a case of wait and see with regards to the changes.

fragg1es
03-02-2008, 12:50 AM
Im not sure whether with holding paypal funds until leaving feedback is true but they have announced that on some transactions Paypal may hold onto funds, I read it on the 'Annoucements' page.

Just a bit of info that may be relevent to users here- sellers in the Jewellery Section will have to offer Paypal as a payment method, this also applies to users with below 100 feedback :)

glasskanvas
04-02-2008, 10:23 PM
People do seem to be genuinely fed up with ebay now though so maybe the other auctions sites will take over the baton. I for one have really started focusing on Etsy. I've also looked into ebid, cqcut and amazon...although to be honest as soon as my own site get more established i'll be putting everything into that as i'm not sure my products would fit in well with some auction sites. I got quite a shock when I put 'dichroic' into the search on cqcut....let's just the dichroic products on there are somewhat adult orientated!

glasskanvas
05-02-2008, 12:20 PM
People are going to get a real shock when they realise they're going to have to reveal their address on the listings from May. I'm surprised it's not been enforced earlier to be honest. I'm hoping it lowers the amount of Chinese imports but probably not. I wonder how long it takes before we get inundated with junk mail via ebay.

0103media
05-02-2008, 12:44 PM
I've been protesting for about 2 yrs now hehehe..

I hate ebay.. LOL