PDA

View Full Version : Is jewellery making going to turn into an expensive hobby?!

beadyeyes
27-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Basically what it says in the title. How much do you all spend on a regular basis on this hobby? I'm just starting out and I know it's expensive to start out but will I be able to reduce my spending once I've got some stuff?!

Thanks,

Beadyeyes

Kay
27-01-2008, 02:34 PM
LOL, simple answer is yes, its an expensive hobby as you will always want more stash, I have a room full of pretty things, some I especially bought just to touch and look at, I wont use them, extremely sad I know LMAO

linz
27-01-2008, 03:41 PM
I spend an absolute fortune on jewellery making supplies. I just can't help myself. Sometime I go on a website just for a browse, and come away spending 100. Its a very pricey addicition, but I suppose the more stock I have, the more sales I make, do it's not all bad!:(

silversurfer
28-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Beads are like sweets you can't stop buying them. You have to discipline yourself, which I find really difficult. I tend to just buy when I know I have a stall coming. But yes it is an expensive hobby, depends what you want to do and what you want out of it.

Good Luck resist resist resist!!

Reillyfacet
28-01-2008, 03:25 PM
There are materials out there very cheaply and free sometimes. If you have a local scrap store near-by, they are like treasure troves! Very inspiring. For the last 15 years I've been earning a living from knitting copper wire. Initially I could only find the stuff from old televisions, dirt cheap!

ladyluckjewellery
31-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Yes, jewellery making can be an expensive hooby, partly because it's just so addictive, and partly because no matter how many beads and finding you have, you'll always spot more that you like!!

That's why I decided towards the end of last year that my hobby was going to have to pay for itself and I started selling pieces instead of giving them as presents (or keeping them for myself :) ) It hasn't paid for itself yet (nowhere near in fact) but at least I can convince OH that anything I buy is now 'an investment' :D

Claire

Beadservice
08-02-2008, 07:53 PM
The thing is, as many beads as you have, there's always more that you always want.

I'm the same if you see what I mean, I just do it on a bigger scale (being a bead supplier)

When you're a bead lover, it's just hard to resist

Perhaps you could sell a few things through Party plan or craft events :)

Debbie
beadservice.co.uk

Nicole
07-03-2008, 11:49 AM
beading is cheaper the paper crafts that for sure only if you get an good prices on beads many cheap beads on ebay"

Primmers
12-03-2008, 11:08 PM
I don't make jewellery, but boy do I love beads. I make cards and sew little felt and fabric thingies for home decor ( not toys).

I find the idea of knitting copper wire fascinating! I bet it's you responsible for all the thefts of metal! I bet you've been scaling church walls to strip the lead off the roofs to knit it!

I use beads to decorate cards, and also to decorate the felt and fabric thingies. I like to have them to look at, too..... yep, it is sad.

I've found a good cheap source of beads is necklaces and bracelets in charity shops: 50p can buy you an awful lot of beads. You might not like the necklace, but you're going to destroy it anyway. I've just bought a vile thing, a multi-strand necklace which has a quarter-pound (100 grams?) of tiny white seed beads. It was 25p: I've washed the necklace and they all gleam now.

I don't know the terms and proper names for beads: mine go by the various titles of 'tiny' to 'big'. They're also 'square' and 'oval'.
I have a very few fabulous glass beads from a 25p necklace: they are about an inch long, clear glass, silvered inside, and they're quite lumpy. I'm afraid I call them my rat-droppings beads.:o

There are some on my chocolate hearts on etsy.

There must be a glossary somewhere which describes them all with their proper names.

Have you tried car boot sales or somewhere like that? Mind you, it's an awful lot of walking and looking on the off-chance that you'll find some.

BeadsbyLili
17-03-2008, 09:13 PM
The thing is, as many beads as you have, there's always more that you always want.

I'm the same if you see what I mean, I just do it on a bigger scale (being a bead supplier)

When you're a bead lover, it's just hard to resist

Debbie I couldnt have said it better myself ! :mf: