PDA

View Full Version : Selling Jewellery?

Muddle Jewellery
22-01-2008, 03:01 PM
I've been searching for online retailers to sell my jewellery through.. does anyone know of any good ones? I nearly went for the Tuggle one, I was told I would be accepted, but after reading how much membership was, then reading on here about it, I decided against it.
I have a website which will have Paypal on soon, but it will still take time to advertise it.
I've been making jewellery for a year now and I've had a few jewellery parties, which have gone well, but it can't be done all the time.
I've been phoning shops to see if they'd like to sell my jewellery and at the time they're interested, I send them info, then nothing happens.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

beadsbydesign
22-01-2008, 03:24 PM
I've been phoning shops to see if they'd like to sell my jewellery and at the time they're interested, I send them info, then nothing happens.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

You should phone the shop find out the details of who you should address your corrospondence to and then send the stuff to them. The crucial bit is the most difficult and that is to phone them about 1 week later or even better visit them in person.

Peter
22-01-2008, 03:25 PM
At the risk of being a wet blanket, those of us making jewellery tend to accept that not a lot gets sold online. If you think of your website as a catalogue to direct people to so they can see what you do, it will be less soul destroying!:) If you can do parties, local fetes, and get people to see your work, you will have more chance of sales - the internet is saturated with jewellery of one description or other, you have to have something special, or start teaching beading like me! :D Oh, welcome to the forum.:D

swirlyarts
22-01-2008, 03:29 PM
I like Etsy to sell on but you do have to work at it - get busy chatting in the forums, promote off Etsy and having fantastic photographs are the way forward. I'm also on Dawanda and that is fairly easy to set up too. Join flickr too - although it's not a selling platform it' an ideal way to get your work noticed. You can also join craft juice for the same reasons.
Hope that helps
Lynsey

Muddle Jewellery
22-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Thank you all for your replies and the advice.

With the shops, sorry I forgot to say, I did get a name from them and call them a week later, but their enthusiasm had gone, maybe it was a bad day for them.

Everyday I'm finding out how much harder it is than originally thought.
I even had support from Prince Trust last August, which gave me money for supplies, but that will run out eventually.

With so many people trying to do the same thing, I'm wondering if its a viable business, bearing in mind, this is my full time job at the moment.

Its very worrying.

Peter
22-01-2008, 04:24 PM
There are very few beaders who have made the leap in to it being a full time job. A lot either open bead shops - another cutthroat market - or get adopted by beadshops to tutor and create kits of their designs. It's like anything else in the art world, you have either got to be exceptionally good or exceptionally lucky! ;)

Muddle Jewellery
22-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Yeah thats very true and sometimes its being in the right place at the right time.
I was very ambitious with it all in the beginning and naive I suppose, still you live and learn.

Peter
22-01-2008, 05:07 PM
There again, think like a duck on ice - you either take off................or fall flat on your ass!:D

silversurfer
22-01-2008, 05:08 PM
I think selling to shops, you need to pedal your wares. You have to visit in person and show them what you have. Be enthusiastic and make them believe you are the best. It's such hard work and if you aren't the selling kind of person it can make you feel uncomfortable. That said if you believe in your product, are polite sometimes just sometimes, they will take it.

You are your business' best marketing tool, Wear your stuff everywhere you go.

Now I really should take my own advice, I sound like I know what I'm talking about!!

Good Luck!

Muddle Jewellery
22-01-2008, 05:35 PM
You do sound like you know what you're talking about.. its good advice.

I'm not good at the selling, I hate it, I prefer to make it and wear it.

There aren't any suitable shops close to where I live and the closest city is Birmingham about 25 min train ride away, to be honest I haven't tried there yet, (only been looking for shops the last 3 weeks). As for towns, Worcester is a 45 min train away, and Stratford about 1hr away.
Looks like I better get a train ticket and get on my way, I just wish I knew it would pay off.

Sorry I'm in a depressing mood at the moment, everything I'm saying is negative, I'm feeling sorry for myself :confused:

Pebbles
23-01-2008, 08:43 AM
I too am a budding beader, as it were. It is difficult to start, I am due to do my first craft fair in March. I found it hard to keep up with demand over Christmas as it is also the busiest time for my "real" job.

However, I get a lot of encouragement from my colleagues, friends and family, whenever any of them have birthday presents to buy, I am usually the first stop.

I quite like operating on a very low level, I can still bead for enjoyment and get a little bit of pocket money for it.

I don't think I could do it full time as I sometimes have 2 weeks where I can't even look at my beads, and then there are the times, that try as I might, I cannot make ANYTHING!! I break things as soon as they are made, my patience is tested and nothing works or looks good.

I think setting up as a full time jewelery maker requires a lot more thought than first realised

Muddle Jewellery
23-01-2008, 09:30 AM
It is hard, I've been doing it full time for 5 months now after getting the Princes Trust loan. When you're given that loan you can't work more than 16 hours a week in another job and I was working 25 hours, so had to leave but the people there were driving me insane, so I didn't mind going.

I was doing well last year selling 200 worth of jewellery at every party lasting 2 hours and not that many people were attending, bearing in mind my jewellery isn't expensive, most of my earrings cost only 3.50.

Now I want to get into shops and sell online without having the parties, I'm realising how hard it is, more and more as I read things on here.