• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • street preacher
    Junior crafter
    • Jul 2008

Postage Stamp Style Edges

Hi everyone,

I have a piece of artwork that I want to turn into a postage stamp style sticker. I have found numerous companies that create stickers but I am ideally looking to achieve that postage stamp style edging to make it look nice and authentic.

I have seen some stamp punches on the web but not sure how affective these are and how easy it would be to get a nice even cut around the image.

Has anyone had experience of creating this type of thing?

Thanks.
  • Caroleecrafts
    Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
    • May 2008

I use a pair of stamp edge scissors, some on ebay here. Just google stamp edge scissors

Comment

• 3dDave
      Super Moderator
      • Aug 2012

Punches are effective and give a good sharp cut but you have to be so careful, especially with a pattern like the edge of a stamp that you line it up correctly as any over or under measurements will stick out like a sore thumb!

Dave.

Comment

• Incognito 1
        Banned
        Super crafter
        • Dec 2010

What sort of stickers, for what purpose? You can run things through a Xyron machine to make stickers. I have two of the smaller machines with permanent tape but you can get different tape, low tack for temporary stickers. You can get more compex machines that will laminate the stickers.

I have sold or given away virtually all my edging scissor. I find it very difficult to cut in straight lines even when trying to follow a pencil mark while cutting. I use dies or punches for postage stamp edge. Buy a punch which you can operate while viewing the image in the bottom of the punch while cutting. Like this one

Comment

• street preacher
          Junior crafter
          • Jul 2008

[QUOTE=Craftychez;617699]What sort of stickers, for what purpose? You can run things through a Xyron machine to make stickers. I have two of the smaller machines with permanent tape but you can get different tape, low tack for temporary stickers. You can get more compex machines that will laminate the stickers.

I want to turn my design into a faux postage stamp which I can then stick onto envelopes next to the real stamp. The stamp will be around 25mm x 25mm.

Comment

• Incognito 1
            Banned
            Super crafter
            • Dec 2010

I wouldn't advise putting anything next to a real postage stamp if its going in the mail. I would run it by Royal mail first if that's what you intend to do.

I love stamps, stamp shapes and postcard designs. You can use any glue rather than making a sticker if you want. That punch is 30 x 30mm.

Comment

• street preacher
              Junior crafter
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Craftychez View Post
              I wouldn't advise putting anything next to a real postage stamp if its going in the mail. I would run it by Royal mail first if that's what you intend to do.

I love stamps, stamp shapes and postcard designs. You can use any glue rather than making a sticker if you want. That punch is 30 x 30mm.
              I should say it's not actually going next to it. I am going to have an envelope with my faux stamp attached to it and then that envelope will be inside a plastic mailer which will have the real stamp on it. You wont see my stamp until the envelope its taken out.

Yes I may get them printed on standard non sticky paper and glue it as it might be cheaper as well.

Would I get my design printed to the same size as the punch or slighty smaller?

Comment

• Seahorse
                Super Moderator
                • Jun 2005

I would use the scissors. I bought some deep wave edge scissirs from Tesco and Morrisons for about 50p, cant recall which on e had the more stamp like cutting edge.
                https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                X