PDA

View Full Version : craft shop idea. - feasable??

Wonky Toad
16-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Hi there

I've had this idea niggling at the back of my mind for a while now, and just looking to get other peoples thoughts on it.

My idea is to try and find 3 or 4 other crafters who sell different stuff to mine, but who's work appeals to a simular market, and then open a shop together. The shop space/rent/overheads would be shared between the crafters, and so would the running of the shop, so each person would work 1 or 2 days a week in the shop.

Just wondering what people thoughts on this are.

Has anyone seen/had experience of it being done before, and
was it successfull?

I don't really know much about the costs and whatnot of running a shop, but a quick google of rent prices/business rates etc seem to suggest that a this sort of thing could be achieved at a cost of somewhere between 100 and 200 quid a week for each participent, depending on shop size and location etc. ie about 20k to 40k

Any Thoughts/advice much apprechiated.

wen
18-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Hey your idea sounds brilliant! Just wish you were nearer, (I live in Cornwall), as I would definately be interested.

Good luck

icecreamgirl
18-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Hmmmm, sounds good in theory, trouble with doing something like that is splitting the work equally, and also how you split the profits. Then there's the things like who's name will be on the lease, who's going to fix the broken toilet etc... and what if some of the crafters bring stuff you don't like? who will have final say on the look/feel of the shop?
I would be very wary of going into anything like that with anyone, just because they are crafters like you, dosnt mean you will see eye to eye on everything i suppose that sounds like i'm being negative but it's just my opinion.

My thoughts would be to just have the shop yourself, so it's your business then you have final say in what is sold and rent spaces to local crafters or even do all the stock on a sale or return type thing so you earn money on the mark up of their stuff.
Just my thoughts....

fragg1es
18-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Yep I agree a great idea. I like the idea of featuring few crafters. There is quite a lot of scope for that. You could feature a new crafter every month to keep things looking fresh. You could also look at the local colleges and uni's I bet loads of students would love the oppurtunity to show their work.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead with it, it would be great if it was successful for you. :)

Katianne
18-11-2007, 05:22 PM
My thoughts would be to just have the shop yourself, so it's your business then you have final say in what is sold and rent spaces to local crafters or even do all the stock on a sale or return type thing so you earn money on the mark up of their stuff.
Just my thoughts....

I agree with Icecream Girl. I thinks it would be much more straightforward to have your own shop, but sell others crafts. You could do this on a sale or return basis perhaps?

Wonky Toad
19-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Cheers for input everyone.

Yeah I can foresee problems with trying to run shop with 4 different artistic minds! Theres bound to be problems as there is with any kind of collaborative project. These things definately make me wary. Think it could still be possible with great care.

It would be better if someone could take ultimate control over things, and be responsible for look/feel of the shop etc, but having my own shop wouldn't be for me though, as the two main advantages of my idea as i saw it were: a: only having to work 1 or 2 days a week, so I could keep on crafting. and b: being able to keep the overheads/ investment required to a minimum.

Lots more thought required methinks!!

0103media
19-11-2007, 01:14 PM
I would suggest a max of 2 crafters.. Its a lot easy to split all costs / income in half..

My dad did this... 2 potters bought a shop together and the shop was looked after 50/50 simple as that.. It worked really well... My dad in the end bought the other half of the shop as the 2nd potter retired...

If it was me I'd do the following..

2 crafters..
half the rent...
50/50 on shop keeping...
100% income from own stuff..
Take on other crafts and take a normal commision e.g. 40% etc..

Seahorse
19-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Could you have a shop where you work in the back and its all visible to the customers that go in.
I think it would be great to see people at work.Then you could make things and then stop to help customers when they come in.

Wonky Toad
19-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Could you have a shop where you work in the back and its all visible to the customers that go in.
I think it would be great to see people at work.Then you could make things and then stop to help customers when they come in.

Would love to do that but I make a massive amount of noise and mess when I work!

Seahorse
19-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Maybe have a glass double glazed partition.I think it would be a pulling point for customers, theyd love to watch you at work.

swirlyarts
19-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Where my parents live there was a guy who owned a shop right on the road down to the cathedral so all the tourists walked past it. It was a wonderful little shop and I had my cards (when I only made cards) in there for a while and they seemed quite popular. However the guy who ran it didn't really have the aptitude for running a shop and being friendly with the customers - so quite a sticking point!! It was a fantastic idea but it just didn't work out - in the end he was working in the local supermarket at nights to cover the costs of the shop! It worked that we paid a monthly fee (5 - which I thought was very cheap!!) and then he took a percentage of the sales.
I think it was the owners attitude that wasn't quite right and that's why it didn't work as well as we had all hoped. I also think he was a bad payer but because my items were quite cheap, my sales ten went onto the next months fees so he never actually had to pay me much!
I agree that you owning the shop, or as Mr M says with one other person could work out really well. Good luck if you do go ahead and my work is available for wholesale ;) :o