PDA

View Full Version : Moisturisers & body butters

alexiss
13-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi there,

I have another question... I want to make my own moisturisers and body butters. I have heard that whipped shea & cocoa butter mixed with either jojoba or almond oil is lovely - but I haven't been able to find out the quantities or proportions and I wondered if anyone could help me with that?

And also I would love to make a light moisturiser for my face and wondered if anyone has a nice recipe (my skin is quite oily and prone to spots but I am also starting to get wrinkles - so I need it to be a bit all purpose).

Hope you can help

Thanks x

craftymate
13-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Hiya if you go to justasoap website l am sure they either have the info on there or there are some useful links from the site to help.
Good luck
Wendy xx

Green aura
15-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Hi
There are loads of websites with some fantastic recipes - if you do a web search for homemade cosmetics (or something like that you'll find tons of info.
Maggie;)

alexiss
16-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks, I have looked at so many websites, my head is swimming. I just wondered if anyone had a favourite recipe that they could recommend. If not no worries x

just_mai
17-11-2007, 02:19 AM
take a look on here http://www.makeyourcosmetics.com/

don't mean to sound rude but no one is going to share there hard earned recipes that they have spend time and effort formulating.

It's really a case of seeing what is right for you,

can give you a basic butter recipe

100 grams of shea butter
100 grams of mango butter
50 grams of cocoa butter
75 grams of liquid oils like olive or sweet almond
5 grams of vit e

melt the hard oils add the cool oils whisk put in freezer for 10 min
whisk again put in freezer carry on until it become like a butter add fragrant or essential oils up to 2% add any colour in tiny amounts whisk in
and you will have a simple body butter.

alexiss
20-11-2007, 07:27 PM
No, it is ok, I kind of jumped to the wrong conclusion that is all. I just figured that people sell home-made stuff to people who want natural gorgeous stuff but can't be bothered to make it, but that people on here will be making their own and thus wouldn't buy the stuff from others on here anyway. I thought it was kind of an idea sharing place. Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick, but thanks for the recipe x

just_mai
24-11-2007, 02:16 AM
there are a few forums you might like to join that we can help you to fomulate etc

try www.fresholi.co.uk and http://csnsforum.co.uk

we can help you formulate, that isn't a problem but we have spent years and lots of money and hours formulating our recipes.

I don't mind sharing basic recipes. and will always help where I can,

alexiss
24-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Ok, thanks, I will check out these sites x

alexiss
13-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi there,

I found a lovely recipe for moisturiser, and basically it was cocoa butter, jojoba oil, almond oil, olive oil, beeswax and cornflour plus whatever essential oils. I made it, it smells gorgeous and is wonderful on my hands. The only problem I have is that it has gone grainy. I read ages ago somewhere someone had the same problem when they used shea butter - but can't find the advice on this anywhere. I can still use it and the bits seem to rub in, but as I may want to give it as presents then I am aiming for a smooth consistency - any ideas?

Thanks

just_mai
16-01-2008, 08:48 AM
It sounds like it's the cornflower that made it grainy not much you can do about that except leave it out,

you don't mention shea butter in your recipe, but shea butter can go grainy it needs to be melted fast and then frozen to stop it being grainy,

alexiss
16-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks Mai - hmmm, maybe I will leave out the cornflower then - I added it because it was supposed to make the moisturiser less greasy...

just_mai
17-01-2008, 06:00 AM
it is meant to cut down on greasiness but the downside is it can leave it grainy, Cyclomethicone from gracefruits.com is wonderful for cutting down on greasiness, but if you don't want to use a silicon then try fractionated coconut oil, it is a dry oil

ginger21
24-01-2008, 02:26 PM
i'm thinking of making my own too but i'm still deciding whether if it's cheaper than buying one at the store. :confused:

just_mai
25-01-2008, 02:05 PM
That really depends on how much you use, making the odd one for yourself will work out expensive to make.
but if you are going to make a lot then it's worth making your own.
or alternatively buy one from one of us that makes them

Sheabutter Cottage
27-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Any butter with a high amount of stearic (cocoa, shea, etc.) is "heat temperamental".
Always use the bain-marie to melt the butters.
Grainy body butter could also be down to how the product is made.

I never freeze (nor refrigerate) my shea and the only time I had problems with graininess was when I tried to shrink wrap my lip balm.

How are you incorporating the cornflour?

just_mai
28-02-2008, 06:33 AM
I find if I don't freeze my shea it gets grainy, but then had problems with a grainy mango butter as well the last lot I got, it's why I freeze.
never got a grainy lip balm yet. but there is always the first time

I incorporate the cornflour after it's been whipped up. before adding the fragrance and colour just a small amount. thing as Natrasorb in the UK and it's meant to be better so testing that out now, before I get my butters re certified need to add some scents anyway.

Bumble Bee
28-02-2008, 08:15 AM
If you would like some wonderful guidence and teaching Book on a Aromantic (http://www.aromantic.co.uk/) course. They are a wholesale for products materials and also have courses. They will also show you how to use preservatives, so that the product lasts longer. Not the bad sort either! Also, this way you'll have a certificate to confirm you are qualified in the area to, which is always a bonus!

alexiss
01-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Any butter with a high amount of stearic (cocoa, shea, etc.) is "heat temperamental".
Always use the bain-marie to melt the butters.
Grainy body butter could also be down to how the product is made.

I never freeze (nor refrigerate) my shea and the only time I had problems with graininess was when I tried to shrink wrap my lip balm.

How are you incorporating the cornflour?

Hi there,

I just sifted it in and stirred it - it didn't occur to me that there would be a problem with it. To make things even more wierd - I have left out the beswax and cornflour and it is lovely for the first 24hrs, then still goes a bit grainy. And even more bizarrely, when I put some in some small pots for my handbag, it doesn't go grainy. I am very confused now!

Sabon Soaps
02-05-2008, 02:11 PM
thesoapkitchen is quite a useful website for both product ideas and supplies.

They are really friendly and helpful too if you need to contact them

jode
13-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi,

Shea butter can go grainy if it's heated up to hot, you need to melt VERY gently, but I wouldn't worry if it's for personal use as long as all the lovely oils and butters are in there it'll work wonders!

Now a light moisturiser is a little more difficult, to make it light it should contain water but have you ever tryed to mix oil & water...... the thing that combines these is an emulsifier, my sister uses borax and beeswax in tiny amounts (5% ish), you have to use these together as they work as a team to hold the oils and water together.
When you add water the next important thing is a peservative as bacteria LOVE oil and water mixes!
So.......
I cheat......while my face and hands are wet I use a teeny tiny amount of butter and I think it works even better as I find that beeswax can block the pores at the side of my nose.....eeewww!!

Now go wild......you can mess around with different oils & butters, or try infusing your liquid oils with botanicals, I love the experimental side :D

Hope this helps you a little
Jode xx