PDA

View Full Version : baking powder

removed10
16-05-2012, 05:08 PM
If anyone is wanting to avoid aluminum in their diet, for health reasons, did you know you can make baking powder yourself?

For 2 teaspoons, mix half a teaspoon of baking soda and a half teaspoon of cornstarch with one teaspoon of cream of tartar.

This is not in weights. But one teaspoon is 5g and so half a teaspoon would be 2.5g

Well anyway, the ratios might be more useful!

Also, if you're making cupcakes or what-have-you to sell, "CONTAINS NO ALUMINUM" might be a good selling point!

AnnieAnna
17-05-2012, 09:07 AM
All my life I've had pots of baking powder and cream of tartar kicking around. Now I only need one pot. Hooray!

US=cornstarch. UK=cornflour? Yes?.

Now I ought to question the aluminium. Is that an American thing? My baking powder has wheat flour, disodium diphosphate and sodium bicarbonate. I can see sodium, phosporus and carbon in there. Does yours have aluminium?

indri
17-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Now I ought to question the aluminium. Is that an American thing? My baking powder has wheat flour, disodium diphosphate and sodium bicarbonate. I can see sodium, phosporus and carbon in there. Does yours have aluminium?

You missed out the carbon and oxygen in the sodium bicarbonate (Na2CO3). Sorry, being a picky scientist!

AnnieAnna
17-05-2012, 09:20 AM
I got the carbon - picky you back:) but confess to missing the oxygen :mummy:

indri
17-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Ok, so I can't read!!

But then there is the whole make up of the wheat flour, which would be starch (C6H10O5), gluten (C29H37N5O9), non starch polysaccharides (Cx(H2O)y), and lipids (CH 3 -(CH 2 ) n -COOH), among other things (so basically lots of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen - lots of organic chemistry. I love organic chemistry :) ), which means you also missed the hydrogen out!!

AnnieAnna
17-05-2012, 10:40 AM
I did think of the flour but being a sci fi fan I went - carbon based life form.
The hydrogen! We both missed that out. Come on over. Join me in the naughty corner.

beadsbydesign
17-05-2012, 12:38 PM
oooohhhh it's a geeks thread :playball:

AnnieAnna
17-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Not geeky enough it appears! Poor innocents. We thought that what it says on the box was what actually was in the box.
Apparently the aluminium comes from the machinery making the baking powder. I'm assuming it's particles being ground off and finding themself in the pots. So googling brought up the scarey chatter but I can't find the start of this story.

AnnieAnna
17-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Oh hang on.
Crunchy Betty thinks it's a hoax but in America someone thought the cheap brands had aluminium added but in Australia it occurs naturally in the soda bit that's dug out of the ground.
Betty is quite a fun read http://www.crunchybetty.com/the-great-baking-soda-anti-hoax

AnnieAnna
17-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Ah ha....but one brand is made with an aluminium compound. Read all about it here http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/BakingPowder.htm

indri
17-05-2012, 05:59 PM
oooohhhh it's a geeks thread :playball:

Who's a geek? :behindsofa:

removed10
17-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Mercy! I had no idea all this was going on...I've been distracted - my grandson is here, my husband and i are trying to get ready for market this weekend, and I have been out poisoning fire ant hills - they are EVERYWHERE due to all the rain. Dam them! I hate fire ants!!! And scorpions. They, too, are everywhere due to the rain soaked ground.

Anne...I think but am not positive that your cornflour is the same as our cornstarch. It's the super fine stuff that makes your skin crawl, like feeling chalk powder...well, it affects me that way. Over here, we have corn meal and masa and masa harina - all different degrees of ground up-ness - all for making things like polenta, cornbread, tortillas, or adding to various Central and South American recipes, even hot chocolate.

But our cornstarch is a very fine white powder that is used for thickening and in place of talcum powder.

Aluminum is used to keep things from caking and should be outlawed. But you find it in many deodorants. You can also find the same products without it, if you look, and they generally cost a bit more - makes me mad...paying more to have something left out...grrrr.

Rosamundi
21-05-2012, 06:14 AM
Forgetting the chemistry for a bit, 1 teaspoon may be 5ml but it's not 5g of anything other than water