PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if I could use manual die cutter- help please

fabme2010
04-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Hi
I've been researching which would be the best die cutter for me, and so far it looks like the big shot, but would love the eclipse but the cost is too much. The reason I'm posting this is I am disabled, I can use my arms ok but they get tired after a while, if I need to open a new jar I couldn't do it, so how easy is it to turn the big shot and to keep using it. I don't want to buy it then not be able to use it or is there an alternative I could look at.

Incognito 1
06-05-2012, 07:35 PM
I think it would be best for you to try machines with different dies in. I'm only in my mid 40s and I'm not disabled but I can't open jars without one of those gismso that looks like a tin opener. Some combinations of dies and platform are more difficult than others in the bigshot so I would suggest trying one. Any good craft shop would let you try their machine. Have you got a local craft club where you could try someones machine? You would need to put the bigshot on a desk or table where you don't have to keep moving it as they are heavy. I have an electronic cutter but mine only cuts not emboss, hence having both machines.

Loody
06-05-2012, 08:13 PM
I think you can get an electric powered big shot....google and I'm sure you can find them. I love my manual bigshot but it can be quite stiff if i'm cutting thicker card.....an electric one would be great!! x

Christa
06-05-2012, 09:39 PM
I think they stopped making the big shot express (electric version of the big shot) after lots of reports of motor malfunction so I would be wary until they have ironed out all the wrinkles.

The big shot is probably the best of the manual machines for anyone with a disability affecting arm/hand strength/range of motion- largely because it is the most stable on the table of all the models and there are ways of operating it that are effective but not necessarily elegant and do not appear in any manual;)

From what you describe I am sure you would find ways to manage a big shot.

Loody
06-05-2012, 10:04 PM
I think they stopped making the big shot express (electric version of the big shot) after lots of reports of motor malfunction so I would be wary until they have ironed out all the wrinkles.

The big shot is probably the best of the manual machines for anyone with a disability affecting arm/hand strength/range of motion- largely because it is the most stable on the table of all the models and there are ways of operating it that are effective but not necessarily elegant and do not appear in any manual;)

From what you describe I am sure you would find ways to manage a big shot.

Ohhhh was thinking of getting one actually....will wait until they've ironed out the probs....thanks for that xxx