PDA

View Full Version : Good cardstock? I cant find any!

emmyk89
22-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Hi everyone hope ur all doing well!

I hope someone can help me. I'm making a mini album from scratch using cardstock as the base. It's from a tutorial by Kathy Orta (if u haven't heard of her check her out she's amazing!).

Like I said its all made out of 12x12 cardstock and I bought some white cardstock yesterday by coredinations I think but it doesn't have a core colour its all white so I thought oh this must be the stuff. I come home start making the base pages which involves a lot of folding and there's loads of flaps in the book. However when I score the pages (not using a score board btw) and fold them a few times it frays and/or rips :( its like the paper is really bad quality or something I paid 6 quid for a pack of 20 sheets.

When I score it I used the plastic scorer but I found that it ripped some of the paper off (even on patterned paper etc) so I use my paper piercer which isn't Sharp but leaves a nice score mark, and I've done this on a lot of stuff. So this could be why, but the scorer doesn't score at all!

Is it the card that's rubbish? Would this happen if I had a scoring board?

Ive just had trouble finding white, black or cream cardstock anywhere!! And that isn't textured!! Please can someone point me in the right direction of what cardstock to use that will stand up to a lot of folding and movement?

And does anyone know where I can get a scoring board from? The Martha Stewart one is great but u can't get it in this country :(

Thanks so much! Em

Craftychez
22-03-2012, 06:33 PM
I am about to make my first scrap book but I have used 12 x12 scrap book papers for many years to make cards. I find smooth textured card tends to crease and fold easily. Perhaps the card you have is meant to rip for vintage style? I use 12 x 12 papers to fold into pocket fold cards and they are fine. I've never had a problem with any card or paper unless I've chosen something too thin and pressed to hard when scoring.

I've only got a small wooden scoreboard but I prefer to use a thin ball tool designed for embossing rather than a scorer/bone folder. If I'm a bit heavy handed I can tear the card with a bone folder but its not as easy to damage the card with a ball tool due to the nice rounded end.

Just read your post again.....

Some card does tend to frey a little if you don't score before you fold.

reallygood
06-04-2012, 02:20 PM
When stuff does that I tend to go at it easy, scoring very very lightly at first and gradually increasing the pressure over several scores.

A scoreboard is useful for this but the side of anything straight (book, tray, ruler) will work as long as you keep the angle of your scorer, ball tool, empty ballpoint, or whatever you're using, the same.

I think using this many score method helps to slowly stretch the paper, easing it more persuasively or something. Worth a try.

Christa
06-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Coredinations card isn't bad quality at all...It is perfect for distressing, it tears easily and if you run it through an embossing folder it will naturally break down and highlight the embossed design in the process...it is pretty hopeless for folded projects, boxes etc because the core section breaks down too easily making it too delicate for anything that needs to withstand any repeated handling, although it can look great used as decorative panels on finished projects and would work well inside your mini book.

Any decent quality plain smooth card should work well for your project. Scoring before folding really does make a difference to the crease lines and gives a much better finish.

Leanie
07-05-2012, 01:01 AM
If you really want to minimise the look of tears etc, you need card that's dyed all the way through, like Bazzill, American Crafts or Stampin' Up! You can get the first two most places, and the SU through a demo (they've a finder on their site so you can find someone local)
Mist it lightly with water to relax the fibres so they have more give- then score it with a ball-ended tool using a score board, I love my Stampin' Up! one, very similar to the Martha Stewart one.
Hope some of this helps- good luck and please share when you're done :D

satalitegirl
07-05-2012, 11:03 AM
I agree with Leanie's comment, a card thats dyed all the way through is great. I love messing and distressing my Stampin' Up cardstock as they are such good quality and great to mess around with

Cocoa & Heart
07-05-2012, 07:57 PM
If you score it on the 'wrong' side and fold it first the wrong way and then the correct (which ever way you want to have the fold) it leaves much neater finish. This trick works well with any card stock.

Teresa
29-05-2012, 04:15 PM
It would depend on the weight or thickness of the card, this is measure in gsm for example 250gsm.