PDA

View Full Version : Step by step decoupage sheets seems to be on their last legs ...

adevine
21-03-2012, 05:45 AM
Step by step decoupage sheets seem to be on their last legs. Every shop I go into seems to be running down their stocks and increasing their stocks of cutting dies. I still love making decoupage cards and the actual made up cards sell really well but am I alone in stocking decoupage sheets? The latest trend seems to be for cutting dies and layering up cards using different die cuts so the idea of decoupage is still there just the printed sheets seem to be a bit old hat. Has anyone else noticed this?

wendy
21-03-2012, 06:32 AM
I also heard from a friend who sells cardmaking supplies that they weremn't doing well.

I believe the downloadable/printable or CD/printable ones are doing ok though - maybe it's just that people are looking for a cheaper option?

Incognito 1
21-03-2012, 09:32 AM
I also heard from a friend who sells cardmaking supplies that they weremn't doing well.

I believe the downloadable/printable or CD/printable ones are doing ok though - maybe it's just that people are looking for a cheaper option?

I agree with this although the finished CD printed cards I've seen aren't (in my opinion) very good quality. You need good quality paper and a good quality printed image to be able to make nice cards. I also noticed some crafters using CDs print outs to make printed cards which just look like mass prooduced shop cards.

What sort of quantity do you usually buy decoupage sheets in adevine? I will send you a pm.

Caroleecrafts
21-03-2012, 10:34 AM
I think the die cut seems to be taking over and tbh not proper decoupage but all down to skill and time. To do proper decoupage takes skill where as the die cut variety does not, push it out mount with foam tabs, which I hate being a traditionalist always use 3D glue, shove on a card and away you go.

I use CD roms but for more printing onto fabric and incorporating designs. This way I know it is repeatable and do not get caught out if a large order comes through.

nattynetty
21-03-2012, 10:51 AM
I think even diecut decoupage seems to be getting less popular. I've noticed my suppliers have really cut down on new designs and are focusing more on diecut toppers or the pyramid style designs. My Nan loves diecut decoupage and having already had all the designs I stock she wanted some new designs for her birthday - I had a devil of a job finding anything different online for her.

Incognito 1
21-03-2012, 02:55 PM
I must admit that my decoupage is quite flat and I use foam pads. If you see it done properly its beautiful. I've seen work where they have moulded or folded the paper and sometimes added little beads etc. Its a work of art and shouldn't be discarded when the cards are taken down a week after the event / occasion.

Crafty Dannii
24-03-2012, 11:01 PM
When I first starting crafting, decoupage was my favourite, I really enjoyed sitting down, cutting it all out etc. When you gave it to someone they really appreciated the time and effort spent on the card and usually displayed it for longer or kept it as a keepsake.
Then Diecut decoupage came more and more popular, everyone didn't seem to appreciate them so much, maybe it was because they thought that all you did was push it out and stick it down, even though the fun for me was the cutting out part and never used diecut, which infuriates me in a way as all the time, effort and expense that went into creating one card was lost. As card making is no way a cheap hobby.

I must admit, that there are a lot more new diecuts, like spellbinders coming out which do look fabulous and I do love to use my Bigshot when I get the chance. But I do really enjoy the colouring in part, with my Promarkers, which is just a reason for 'Grownups' to be able to colour in.

But I did at the end of last year, try and get hold of some decoupage, I put up a post on a website and asked if anyone still sold the Non Diecut decoupage and as my luck may have it, someone was selling a bulk of it as they didn't have the time anymore.

Especially if people sell their cards they aren't interested in decoupage as it takes too much of their time and the price of products aren't cheap anyway so that just adds to their prices. And at the moment people are wanting a lot for nothing, I have noticed that the peoples pages I follow on Facebook, their sales seem to have dropped and a lot more people are having to lower their prices.

southportgirl
25-03-2012, 03:51 PM
joanna sheen was on tv one day and criticising die cut decoupage as being lazy and not authentic but the presenter clarified by saying what about people with dexterity or vision problems or people who are just in a rush. must say i use both push out decoupage, ones that i cut out myself and the die cuts as well, depends on what mood i am in but each has it's own place.

le boudoir online
05-04-2012, 09:21 PM
I do it the old fashioned way and cut out individual scraps, I've never used these ?

www.le-boudoir-online.com

3dDave
20-08-2012, 10:22 AM
I download, print and cut my own. I only ever use pre-cuts for the last of the Christmas rush, but still end up buying 2-3 packs of the same image as there are never enough layers for me, I still always find something that needs cutting out & adding in. My own ones cut out with a scalpel and a magnifying light usually take a minimum of 6 hours, that is without the card. The latest has taken 8 layers and 10 hours with 9 coats of varnish!..its not mounted or edged yet Lol. Pre-cuts are great for beating the rush or maybe just starting the craft, but for me personally it is to cut them out.