PDA

View Full Version : Interlining without shrinking?

hgreaves
15-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi all

I want to make lined + interlined curtains for the maximum possible thermal insulation, as I live in an old listed house where we are not allowed to install double glazing.

I have been reading up on interlining fabrics, and the general advice seems to be to use a heavy bump interlining for thermal insulation, *but* this then comes with a warning that you cannot machine wash the resulting curtains as the interlining will shrink relative to the lining and face fabric.

I would like to make curtains that I can chuck in the washing machine if necessary. Does anyone have any tips on what I should use for thermal interlining in this case??

I am currently thinking of just using an additional layer of ordinary thermal lining fabric for the interlining, but any better ideas would be very very much appreciated!

Thanks for reading :)

-Hilary

AnnieAnna
16-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Look the composition of that fabric up on line. Sometimes 'cannot' actually means 'should not'.
The manufacturers are being a bit lazy/covering their backs slapping do not machine wash on everything. I've stopped looking at the labels on my clothes and shove everything in the machine.

I interline my costumes. I tell my customers to dry clean them to be on the safe side, because, yes, different fabrics shrink at different rates, but when making costumes for kids or my messy family, I prewash (and hopefully shrink) the fabric first. After that it's a chuck it in the washing machine, fingers crossed. So far so good.

I would ask for a swatch and expriment on it or look around for a machine washable alternative.

hgreaves
16-10-2011, 03:25 PM
OK - thanks for the tips!
Hilary.

sharon
19-10-2011, 06:28 PM
I definately wouldn't recommend washing bump interlining - its not just the fact that the fabric, interlining & lining will probably all shrink at different rates but I think bump will possibly either go lumpy or disintegrate in places when wet. You should always dry clean curtains.

However, if you really want to wash them why don't you buy your curtain fabric & lining & prewash at a temp of no more than 30 degrees. Then buy a blanket large enough for each curtain & prewash that. Then make up the curtains with the blanket as the interlining.

I've made my hall curtain with a blanket interlining & its fine - the front door is the only outer door that has a draughty gap round the frame & for the last 3 winters we've had no wind blowing through the curtain. I used to be a professional curtainmaker & used the blanket as I'd got no more bump interlining left over!

Classical Genesis
14-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Hi Hilary

If you are making a hand pleated heading you will not be able to wash the curtains anyway. I am assuming, therefore, that you are using tape, either drawn up into pencil pleats or eyelet tape.

You can buy sarille interlining the same thickness and weight as Bump. It won't be any cheaper than using Bump but at least it will wash without shrinking. Sarille is pure polyester so its insulation value is quite high. Don't be put off by the fact that Sarille is generally used in cheaper curtains It is a product of great value both as an insulator and as lighter weight interlining. If you can't find the thicker Sarille give me a shout and I will research where you can buy it by post.

Kind regards Clive