PDA

View Full Version : have you approached bricks n mortar shops?

OGDesigns
03-08-2007, 08:10 PM
My mum suggested i go into some of these small boutiques and ask if they do sale or return on items i would be willing to leave there? Does anyone do this and does it work well or do you have to lower your prices enough to let them make commision that you end up with next to nothing anyway? Any help appreciated :)

Blooming Felt
03-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Hiya

Funnily enough - I just took a whole heap of my stuff into a really lovely shop in Chelmsford called Yum Yum Jelly just yesterday. I saw them a couple of weeks ago and asked whether they might be interested in my goodies and they said yes - on a sale or return basis. They wanted me to sell to them at my wholesale prices, but I wouldn't agree to that as they're not actually buying the stuff from me. So I agreed to meet them half way. I'm really excited because it's such a lovely shop and has won loads of awards. They also do parties, so that's another avenue to go down.

I also visited a number of shops when I was down in Cornwall a few weeks ago and picked up a big order for a shop in St Ives. They actually bought from me rather than doing a sale or return, so that was fantastic.

It's definitely worth visiting a few places, but make sure you're organised when you go in. Maybe call them up beforehand to introduce yourself and make an appointment - some shops don't like people just turning up on their doorstep and expecting us to see them (especially if they're busy). Also, make sure you've worked out your prices beforehand and take price lists with you when you visit so they can see the prices in black and white. Oh, and don't forget - if you get a sale or return deal - make sure they sign a contract saying the goods remain the property of you until payment is received in full from them. Just in case they go belly up !!

It's nerve-wracking but brilliant when you get a sale/deal.

Good luck !!

:)

Blooming Felt
03-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Oh - while I think of it - most shops will sell your items at 2.5 to 2.75 times more than you sell to them (to cover their overheads etc). So you should be able to work out roughly what sort of price they'll be selling at and if you think it will be achievable. The last thing you want is to be selling to them at 10 knowing that they will be selling on at 25 - 27 and you knowing that it's unlikely they'll be able to sell at that price. It's a bit of a fine line really because you want to get sales so need to set your prices accordingly without underselling yourself, but need to be sure that your stuff will sell at the price they set.

If you need any other info, just PM me.

I'd love to know how you get on.

beadsbydesign
03-08-2007, 09:45 PM
There is a post on the blog about sale or return.

OGDesigns
03-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks Sarah thats very useful info and i will def give it a go :) Will pm you with more questions as it comes up :)

beadsbydesign - which blog is it?

beadsbydesign
04-08-2007, 08:27 AM
beadsbydesign - which blog is it?

http://blog.craftsforum.co.uk/

it is about three post's down at the moment!

OGDesigns
04-08-2007, 04:49 PM
thanks beadsbydesign - i just click on newposts so thats how i missed it :)