PDA

View Full Version : Safety Pin Bracelet

Sparklez
30-07-2007, 02:23 PM
My mother in law has roped me into a project for her church. They do a sale of work at Christmas to raise funds. All the items are handed in free and sold at ridicuously low prices.

This year they have gotten the idea to get the kids involved and want to make safety pin bracelets. If you haven't seen these the idea is that you add seed and/or bugle beads to the pin bit of the safety pins, close it and then thread through the round hole at the bottom and top of the metal where the pin closes, and alternate one up one down so all the pins sit facing outwards.

I've seen kits for these at Glasgow Science Centre, but they were very expensive. I know I can get seed/bugle beads fairly cheaply for the amount they'll be looking to use, but I'm struggling with the safety pins. The kits I saw had 'blunted' safety pins, and I can't seem to find these any place.

Wondering if you knowledgable people could point me in the right direction. I've tried google and ebay and am having no luck.

Thanks in advance
Carol

candles by lisa
30-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Sorry I have no idea about blunt safety pins - what about getting in touch with someone who makes nappy pins (cause they are blunt ended) they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Not much use I know but it's the only thing I can think of.

Cheers.

Lisa

:D

tigereye
31-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Would filing the ends of ordinary pins with a metal nail file work? I have done this with ear wires etc to blunt them.

Sparklez
01-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I don't think filing the pins is an option, I think you need 50-100 safety pins per bracelet, and they want to make quite a few.

Cheers
Carol

Pebbles
25-10-2007, 11:03 PM
A certain website called mail order beads which sells kits for less than a fiver, but there is also a website, of which I can't remember the name which sells the coloured safety pins.... sily question, but have you tried googling it?

Sparklez
25-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Googled to no avail for blunt safety pins, but have since seen a magazine project which uses normal safety pins which makes me feel better about using these.

Thanks for your reply though.

Carol

Bea
25-10-2007, 11:26 PM
I think this project was indeed in one of the issues of the Bead magazine. http://www.beadmagazine.co.uk/iMag_BackIssues.asp