PDA

View Full Version : Wedding cake decoration - Help needed!!!!!

itsloub
06-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Hello
I am getting married in a few months and after making all the wedding invites and favours I have decided to decorate my wedding cake. I am looking for a way to apply diamante single gems to a wedding cake and finding ones which are suitable for adding to a wedding cake.

I have searched the internet and many places say not to use flower pins in case the pin is snaps and is left in the cake. The closest thing I can find is edible gems but they are to large for what I am looking for.

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated!:)

silvermaid
06-09-2011, 03:49 PM
As it is your own wedding I would not have thought that the pins snapping would be a problem. As long as whoever is cutting the cake knows to be careful , and all the crystals could be taken out before giving out the slices.
Otherwise I wonder if they could be stuck on with icing - the old fashioned sort made with icing sugar and water rather than the roll out stuff. Then you would just have to remind people that they are not edible.

Melanie

Pauline@weddingtreasures
06-09-2011, 04:27 PM
If you stick them on with icing there may not be a need for the pins to be used.

Hope you find what you are looking for.. have you looked on EBay at all - or there is one or two great crafters on here that make jewellery for cakes :)

Pauline :)

the card shark
08-09-2011, 04:43 AM
I'd be wary about using anything inedible directly onto a cake. Especially something hard like diamante gems which might have the potential to choke.

Years ago I made a birthday cake for my grandmother. I inserted small pieces of ribbon into the cake to give the impression that the ribbon was threaded through the icing. I told everyone that the ribbon pieces were not edible. My grandfather ate his piece of cake, ribbon and all! :o

How about fixing the gems to a length of ribbon and attaching that around the cake? Alternatively, you could make a removable decoration for the top(s) of the cakes using the gems.

beadsbydesign
08-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Just a point of note. You shouldn't use floral wore in edible items as it's not designed with lead and nickle content control and may react with the cake ingredients. Instead you should use jewellery wire which is made with a control.

I make cake jewellery and could advise if I could see what sort of design you are looking at. You could pm me pictures or drawings if you didn't want to make it public.

Unless you or someone you trust impecably is going to be cutting the cake, using pins is not safe.

jennaodie
08-09-2011, 09:22 AM
If I were you I'd make something that can be removed from the cake in one go. The last thing anyone wants to be doing on your wedding day is removing lots of jewels from the cake. Of course if you have a clear idea of how you want the cake to look it can be difficult to settle for something else... Would you be able to string crystal beads onto fine wire and get a similar effect that way?

the card shark
08-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Just a point of note. You shouldn't use floral wore in edible items as it's not designed with lead and nickle content control and may react with the cake ingredients. Instead you should use jewellery wire which is made with a control.

I make cake jewellery and could advise if I could see what sort of design you are looking at. You could pm me pictures or drawings if you didn't want to make it public.

Unless you or someone you trust impecably is going to be cutting the cake, using pins is not safe.

I use the food grade wire that you buy from cake decorating shops. But of course I don't stick it into the cake. I use a plastic posy pick for that.

fairycakes1972
12-09-2011, 08:16 PM
The best way to do it is to fix the diamontes on with a small amount of royal icing.

Having said that I won't do it, due to the risk of someone eating it/breaking a tooth etc!

If you do go ahead, double check that your venue will be happy to cut the cake with the diamontes on it as they would then be liable if anything happened! Also, make sure you keep count of how many diamontes you have on each tier, so they can make sure the right number come off!!!

x

mcrafts
12-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Have you had a look at this site http://www.rainbowsugarcraft.co.uk/shop/Edible_Diamonds.htm Don't know if they would be exactly what you are looking for but worth a look :)