PDA

View Full Version : Tax Refund ??????

Critchley
07-08-2011, 08:10 AM
I have had an email from 'HM Revenue & Customs' telling me I have a tax refund due. Is this possible,, I thought they wrote to you officially and also, surely that title is incorrect. I have not clicked on the link they have given me yet. Need your advice/confirmation that this is a hoax/con or is it real?

MrsW
07-08-2011, 08:14 AM
HMRC will only write to you, you are right, delete the email. I work at an accountants so I'm 99.9% sure on this. Hope this helps. Nx

JKS
07-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Over the last year I have received a few telling me I have a refund due, as I know that isn't the case I ignore it. As MrsW says, they only send a letter.

Sorry, Carol, you though you could treat yourself???

Jill

greannancrafts
07-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Definitely a **** - I get 2-3 per week.

I have had an email from the Rt Hon David Cameron stating he has put some money in an account for me this week - yeh right, as if?

Jane

Critchley
07-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Thankyou Ladies. Much appreciated. Its gone.

JKS
07-08-2011, 08:43 AM
How very generous of good old Dave - now we know why he has made so many cuts, he is playing at being Robin Hood

Jill

Caroleecrafts
07-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Just to get your bank details Carol

StefC
07-08-2011, 09:07 AM
I have one too!

The scattering of incorrect capital letters, the lack of a sign, the word 'fiscal', the slightly stilted English and the 'Best Regards' all say it's fake!

I know a very intelligent man who responded to one and spent 2 years trying to make his banking safe. He still has to do most of it at the bank, in person, and gets many calls to certify any card transactions he legitimately makes. It has caused him a lot of trouble, and shows no sign of relenting.

Critchley
07-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Ouch. I bet that was a salutory lesson.

StefC
07-08-2011, 09:34 AM
It has changed his life! He thinks it is just about over and then his ID is used somewhere else and he has to start all over again. It takes up so much of his time and he seems to get quite depressed over it.

Mind you it is his own fault. Just a year before he sent money to a 'Nigerian woman whose child was ill' - he even sent more when that first money was stolen. It took us ages to persuade him that it was a ****, even after he started to receive lots of begging emails!

Bath-Bomb.Com
07-08-2011, 10:12 AM
That's really sad StefC...I guess he is now on a 'sucker' list...which is where anyone that responds gets placed and then the lists are distributed :(

I get a lot of these Tax refund emails - quite often from the USA federal Tax offices - nice that they are willing to refund me money when I've never paid a US Tax...:)

Loody
03-09-2011, 02:47 PM
I get them all the time.....and I'm not a UK taxpayer lol
It's scary tho that people DO fall for it otherwise they wouldn't bother continuing to do it... :(