• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nicki
    Junior crafter
    • Jun 2007

First Fair!

Well thats it, I've just booked my first fair at Carlisle Racecourse. It's in August. Now I have to think of what I want the stall to look like and I'm wondering how much stock I need to take?. Its just a one day fair but I think it could be quite busy. Any ideas or tips would be very welcome!?! ( I make fabric door hangers, scented cushions, garlands, jute bags etc..)
  • beadsbydesign
    Super Moderator
    Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
    • Jan 2006

Have a trial run at home first and ask for critique from someone who will be honest.
    Height is important and you can build up towards the back and sides using boxes etc. You need a nice large cloth that will drapee over your table and down to the floor at the front so that you can hide away your rubbish etc.
    You'll need business cards etc.
    To start with for your first few fairs you'll take far to much stuff with you. (not including stock!) after a while you learn to pare down. Boxes used to transport stuff can be turned upside down to add height!
    My friend who sells bags always takes a hat stand to hang her bags from at the front corner of her stall and it looks very effective.
    You'll need a cash float. clamps and sellotape, scissors, notbook and pen are essentials.
    Think how you are going to price your goods.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

• Nicki
      Junior crafter
      • Jun 2007

Lots of food for thought there, thankyou. I hadn't even considered how I was going to price the stuff!!!!.

Comment

• zebra
        100+ crafts club
        • Mar 2007

YES, price everything up before you go ~ suprising how many people come round whilst your setting up.
        Debbie
        www.thesilverzebra.co.uk

Contemporary glass fusion designs - sculptures - wall panels - functional items - outdoor sculptures. We also run Silver & Glass workshops here in Cheshire - kiln space also offered.

Comment

• colourart
          Super crafter
          • Feb 2007

Firstly, good luck. Secondly, enjoy it. If you look like your enjoying it and you are chatty to your potential customers then you're off to a good start.

The one thing I always tell myself is that I must not spend any money until I have made some money. It is tempting spend money on other peoples stands at craft fairs

Also take a flask of tea and food with you, so you don't have to spend your profits on refreshments.

Let us know how you get on.
          Amanda
          xx

Comment

Working...
          X