PDA

View Full Version : Trying to save some money...

Hayleymo
10-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Making some long heavy brocade curtains, I was lucky enough to find an end of roll bargain that I could just about afford. The lady in the shop suggested I use six inch curtain tape, and I do like that look.

Only thing is, I need to do this on a budget and already have most of a 100m roll of three inch pencil header tape - it seems crazy to buy six inch when I don't need to.

But... A friend jokingly suggested using two three inch tapes, which started me wondering. It might just work, does anyone know a reason not do do it?

Obviously the two tapes would need careful lining up, and even if they very slightly overlapped I'd have three lines of stitching showing on the front instead of two.

Not much experience in curtain making, but I'm an experienced seamstress.

Look forward to hearing your comments. :)

Critchley
10-07-2011, 04:31 PM
I think I would just machine them together flat. If you make a quarter of an inch overlap you can machine down twice. once on each egde of the overlap. i.e. turning over and machining down the other edge on the other side. It would give it more stability. The only difficulty I can foresee is when gathering. The centre (Double bit) wont gather so easy, but it will gather. Do all this before attaching it to the curtains then you won't see it from the front.

Hayleymo
10-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Thank you, I hadn't thought of sewing the two tapes together before attaching the double width to the curtains.

I do have plenty of tape, so I'll try this out on some scrap fabric first; it sounds perfectly doable.