PDA

View Full Version : I want to print material myself

Lightbox
08-07-2011, 10:13 AM
I am a psychologist and I want to be able to print professional material such as brochures, booklets and things like that in my practice. I am also a member of a scientific society that does voluntary work that produces informational material in a slightly larger scale. Is there a piece of machinery that combines these features? I want something more than an ordinary printer but I don't need a publisher's equipment either. Do you have any suggestions for further research?

Removed content
01-12-2011, 10:51 AM
You need a desktop publishing package to design the brochures, I use Microsoft Publisher http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/publisher/ or you could use Serif PagePlus X5 http://www.serif.com/pageplus/pageplusx5.asp?MC=SERPPCPPDF&gclid=CIPXkqXL4KwCFUhrfAodBxb8oQ, but there are plenty of other ones available. Both of the ones with links have trail versions available, but a check on the internet will turn up cheaper prices than these links.

For printing I would suggest using a colour laser printer, but check it can handle printer card of 160gm as some will only go to 90gm. Ideally it should be a straight through paper route like most inkjet printers, not a doubling back route as this can make the card curl. Sorry I cannot recommend a specific printer, but do check the main brands only as toner is easier to obtain.

For accurate folding I feel sure one of the card making fraternity would advise on some simple way of making the folds more accurate than hand folding.

Roger

AnnieAnna
01-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Some things to consider:
you do get very good at folding the more you do. I cheat and have a border round my sections of writing which I can use as a guide.
I like the results from my Epson Photo RX620 with expensive inks and dislike my Kodak ESP7 with cheap inks.
Normal printer inks run in the rain.

Removed content
01-12-2011, 04:53 PM
I like the results from my Epson Photo RX620 with expensive inks and dislike my Kodak ESP7 with cheap inks. Normal printer inks run in the rain.

Thats why I suggested a laser printer as the colours will never run. Paper leaflets do not feel as good as card ones, so quality leaflets will give your practice a feel of substance. Card ones are slightly more difficult to fold than paper, but a gadget to start a crease that card makers use will solve that.

Roger

Christa
01-12-2011, 06:04 PM
A simple score board and bone folder will ensure accurate crisp folds every time...providing the paper./card you start with is blessed with true edges of course...

glynisrose
01-12-2011, 07:25 PM
I would not recommend MS Publisher as it NEVER prints edge to edge regardless of what you use to print with. Especially if you are designing a threefold leaflet it gets very frustrating when it misses a long section at the end of the page.

Were I you I would go for something like Adobe InDesign or Quark Express as this allows a bleed - off area and so prints right up to the edge of the page.

Not slagging Publisher, I have been using it since 1990!! Its great for designing but you need Photoshop or similar to edit images.

With InDesign all that comes as part of the package.