PDA

View Full Version : Kiddies products

dee_liteful
31-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Not sure if I've put this in the right section, so feel free to move it if need be!

I'm thinking of doing some smaller items aimed at children for an Easter fair. Things like small tote bags (very cheap ones) and hair clips/head bands. Do I need to have this checked out under health/safety laws? For the hair clips I was thinking of tying bows etc onto them or gluing little trinkets. Aimed at toddler age.

Please let me know your thoughts as I'd hate to make them and not be able to sell!

sparklyshoes
31-03-2011, 02:08 PM
I think a lil basket of hair things is great...I have some on my table and tbh they don't move that quick, but do get rummagers, esp those kiddies with pocket money to burn.

I do some coin purses which is also good from that angle..! Could you do much the same with your offcuts?

x

picto
31-03-2011, 02:24 PM
I think it's a great idea for an Easter fair, or any fair that lots of kiddies will be at to have a basket or two of bits for the 'ickle ones to spend their pocket money on.

I agree with sparkly that they don't always move but it's worth a try with your offcuts etc.... esp your sweety and scull fabric and bling usually goes down well

alibear
31-03-2011, 03:21 PM
tote bag wise - make sure they can't get handle over their head - keep it small :) x

removed10
02-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Little trinkets, even though glued on, might be considered a choking hazard?

One of the biggest movers around here at Easter are cascarones. Start getting everyone you know to tap the ends off their eggs rather than just crack them in half, and save the shells for you (they should be rinsed and air dried immediately).

Then you dye them bright colors, and when they're dry, you fill them halfway with confetti and then glue a little square of tissue paper (same or contrasting color) over the open end. Put 2 or 3 and some Easter grass in a little cheapie Easter basket to sell, or in one of your tote bags...yes, they make a mess, but confetti gets ground into the ground pretty fast. Wrap in clear cellophane and put a tag on them - do not open until Easter! Then they'll do it at home, not at the market.

If you're concerned about the confetti, you could put a little wrapped candy in there - something that doesn't melt. Like maybe a piece of bubble gum. Well, melting may not be a consideration over there, but here it sure is!

The ones filled with confetti are for chasing and smashing on other kids heads...oh dear...but kids love them - and they like to wait for an opportunity to smash it on their dad's heads for some reason....

dee_liteful
04-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Wow some great ideas here thank you. Susan that sounds intriguing! I may have a go!
Yep definately have plenty of offcuts! so I can make some cute little bits and totes.
Good idea about the coin purses sparkly :)

Thanks for the advice Ali, I probably wouldn't have thought of that - eeek! I have lots of lovely ginghams and some small bits of my sweety fabric to use :)

alibear
04-04-2011, 03:49 PM
I made some party bags out of fabric for my niece's birthday - her and her friends LOVED them.

anora
29-06-2011, 09:37 AM
I arrange a birthday for my niece and prepare a game for her friends and family members. I like to play the game Treasure Hunt for kids, which is made in home easily. Its an interesting games for kids to play the game at their home with all friends. This game is played by all ages members. The theme of this game is to find the hidden objects in different places and the kids have to find out that objects with clues...Its a very nice game...

harpermagic
10-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Just wondered for kids gifts do you have to use special paint to comply with any rules?

adevine
11-03-2012, 06:32 AM
I don't know what rules and regulations you would have to follow for children's items but I always cover myself with my handmade cards by having a sticker on the back saying that it is a display product and not suitable for children under 3 due to choking hazard of small parts. My insurance brokers didn't think I needed to go this far but better to be safe than sorry. If you look at similar products to what you are hoping to sell you may see a warning sticker soI would follow the wording on that.