PDA

View Full Version : Light box for shots of jewelery?

blufizz
07-03-2011, 01:05 PM
hiya,
im hoping someone can point me in the right direction...i need to buy or make some kind of light box to take pics of my jewelery....i wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

Loody
07-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I use a light tent to take mine...you can get sets on fleabay with lights etc for about 30....or like me just buy the tent and use it with natural daylight....hope this helps

blufizz
07-03-2011, 01:57 PM
hiya and thanks :-)
can i assume "fleabay" s actually ebay lol...or is there a new site now?
bx

Loody
07-03-2011, 02:11 PM
lol.....yes eBay :D

x

blufizz
07-03-2011, 02:16 PM
well i had to ask lol :-)

blufizz
07-03-2011, 02:33 PM
how would you light the item in the tent tho?

MornieG Jewellery
07-03-2011, 02:47 PM
You can buy the light tent complete with lights but a couple of anglepoise type lights would probably do the job and you might need more than two sometimes.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=light+tent&x=13&y=14

The pop-up ones are vicious creatures and can take you unawares knocking everything over within range ( oh, and keep it away from your face, says the voice of experience with a cut lip LOL ) and a pain to fold up again !!

Mo.XX

blufizz
07-03-2011, 02:57 PM
The pop-up ones are vicious creatures and can take you unawares knocking everything over within range ( oh, and keep it away from your face, says the voice of experience with a cut lip LOL ) and a pain to fold up again !!

Mo.XX[/QUOTE]

yeh il bet...my little ones have a couple of tents like that lol
thank you for the link....i can see my next purchase looming lol....joined the forums cos im into making jewellery but seem to have gone off
on a tangent with photography :-)
(did a two year course way back in my youth and the photography bug has been awakened lol)

Loody
07-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Oh yes...Mo is right...they can be devils....i tend to chuck mine into the middle of the living room so it harms nothing and no-one....as for lighting I have a south facing patio door so use the sunlight as my lighting...(obvs doesn't work in a cloudy day) I have desk lamps for overcast day and would recommend daylight bulbs for a more natural light
:D

freshfruitsalad
08-03-2011, 07:25 PM
I got caught out with that as well, popped out in half a second knocking me on the nose, took 2 of us an hour to figure out how to fold it up again! Super product though
I put my jewellery on a bit of a4 paper though, it's much whiter than the background they send with it

Nellie Dean
09-03-2011, 12:24 AM
You can also make a DIY light tent out of a cardboard box. I can't post links yet but if you Google DIY light tent you should get an idea. The tutorial I have bookmarked is from the digital photography school. I made one and it worked very well, until my 6 year old got hold of it and made it into a house for his Lego ninjas! lol

Carol29
09-03-2011, 01:13 PM
I bought one of these light boxes from Amazon also but am still having difficulty taking good shots. The flash on my digital camera causes a shadow and the images are certainly not up to "magazine" quality. I have my son (who has a good collection of cameras) working on it for me.

Would be interested to see how others manage?

Carol

Loody
09-03-2011, 03:38 PM
I never use a flash Carol.....if you light the tent properly you don't need the flash as it will only cause flashing from your beautiful pieces....

freshfruitsalad
11-03-2011, 09:58 PM
I struggle as well, I end up cheating and using the flash, diffused and tweaking it in a photo editor, which is not good :(

My lights don't get it super white, daylight is no good, unless the sun is shining directly it won't take an even picture

So I am waiting for the next sunny day, can't afford to buy anymore lights :)

Loody
11-03-2011, 10:04 PM
I struggle as well, I end up cheating and using the flash, diffused and tweaking it in a photo editor, which is not good :(

My lights don't get it super white, daylight is no good, unless the sun is shining directly it won't take an even picture

So I am waiting for the next sunny day, can't afford to buy anymore lights :)

Have you thought about getting some daylight bulbs for your lights??

freshfruitsalad
11-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Have you thought about getting some daylight bulbs for your lights??
Alredy on daylights loody :(
Three of the brightest ones I could get, gets it light, but blue

Maybe I am just expecting perfection

Loody
11-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Frustrating isn't it?.....I am now saving my pennies for some proper lights....desk lamps just don't do the job :(

Nellie Dean
14-03-2011, 12:39 AM
If you have to use flash then place a piece of tissue paper or cigarette paper over the flash to soften the light a bit. Just moisten one edge of the paper to stick it down temporarily.

funkster
14-03-2011, 12:48 AM
19860use a tripod for the camera and set on a long exposure ... can often get away without fancy lighting ...use a nearby window ..the light tents i can never fold mine back up so i gave up in the end...
i tend to use my conservatory for small stuff but my tshirts etc i have a mannequin and use very little lighting and a tripod.

appatite
14-03-2011, 06:11 PM
I second the light tent suggestion. You can also get arrays with moving lamps that you can reposition overtop. The jewellery should be against a white background, especially if you are going to edit the images later.

flb89
05-10-2011, 07:22 PM
google shopping - light tent