PDA

View Full Version : Tips please for taking pictures of silver jewellery

Egyptian Inspirations
15-01-2011, 02:35 PM
I seem to have mastered my camera and the best way of taking pictures for my costume jewellery but when I take pictures of sterling silver or just silver plated smaller items they are really poor. I have the camera on the macro setting alaredy so not sure what else I can do

woodturningpat
15-01-2011, 02:59 PM
do you have some sample photos that you are not happy with? Let us have a look I am sure someone mihgt be able to give some advice.

When doing extreme close ups the usual problems are
blurring due to lack of depth of field, (closer you go the smaller the aperture needed)
blurring due camera shake (need to use a tripod)
good lighting (flash will burn out certain highlights especially on silver) need to use a soft diffused light eg light from a window, flash through a handkerchief, use a reflecto (piece of card paper on opposite side to the main light source

So to sum up soft difuse lighting, camera on a tripod, small aperture.
Hope this helps

matty56
21-01-2011, 01:25 AM
hi,i found out how to photograph my jewellery by searching online until i came across a site that showed how to make your own 'Light box'... i made mine from a large cardboard box and some white tissue paper,they are expensive to buy. when i find the site i'll post the address for you. you do not need a flash for this just a decent camera .my pics come up brilliant.

matty56
21-01-2011, 01:38 AM
hi,i could'nt find the site where i made my lightbox,but here's another one;just search for,' how to make a light box',it comes up with,i think it's called; crafty,crafty. you can make it as large or small as you need,all you need is your camera and some daylight bulbs,i just use a couple of old table lamps angled on the box.hope this helps....

Jupiter Rocks
21-01-2011, 01:09 PM
This may be useful... http://k3lit0.deviantart.com/art/DIY-Lightbox-160577083?q=special%3Add&qo=0

S&R Jewellery
21-03-2011, 06:28 PM
We needed to have pictures taken for our silver jewellery on our site sandrjewellery.co.uk and we ended up using a professional photographer as these items are so difficult to shoot

Fubsy
22-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Woodturningpat mentioned using reflectors to bounce light back onto the subject.
You can also use a piece of black card to "take away" light from areas of the object.

flb89
05-10-2011, 07:21 PM
try a light tent it softens the light i got one for 20 also look at tabletopstudio.com/documents/jewelry_photography.htm