PDA

View Full Version : Please help save this park!

Daesul
10-01-2011, 04:10 PM
A lovely park in my old stamping ground in East London is being threatened with destruction. Anyone who knows the area will know that parks like this are the only green space some people have access to.

When it was opened in 1922, it was promised to be for the use of the local people "forever" but this is now threatened.

A petition is now available and lots of signatures are needed! The website is http://www.savekemp.com/ and it would be great if loads of you could sign very soon. You don't have to live in the area to be able to sign.

(Mods, I hope this is allowed, if not please just delete this post)!

iBeads
10-01-2011, 04:17 PM
I've just signed it - I used to regularly spend time in East London, so am aware of the need for such spaces.

Roslet
10-01-2011, 05:05 PM
I used this park every Summer when I lived in Stepney and I am still a Chair of Governors in Tower Hamlets and know that our children use the park. There are so few safe, open, green spaces in Stepney that we must hang on to this. Thanks for linking to it.

HandyWoodcrafts
10-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Signed it aswell, we need places for kids to play.

Drew

Vicky4M
10-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Signed! And sent link to hubby for him to pass around work!! x

craftdancer
10-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Signed it.

Linda

Daesul
10-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Thank you all very much - all help is gratefully received!

bethielou
10-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Signed it for you! Hope you don't lose it!

julieanne
10-01-2011, 10:52 PM
I signed it too. Too precious to lose!

Critchley
10-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Signed it and left comment.

Passion for Soap
11-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Signed and shared on Facebook. Hope our signatures help to save this park.

AnnieAnna
11-01-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm passionate about keeping London's parks and have signed but if we fail to stop it maybe you can take heart that we watched them rip up Epping Forest to construct a tunnel for the M25 and now the forest has grown back and you can't tell where the digging was done.
But the plans for what sounds like a gigantic sewage outlet need rethinking.

Daesul
11-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Exactly Anna, when they've finished ripping the park up and destroying the wildlife habitats, there will be a huge sewage plant in the park, complete with accompanying odours! Just not acceptable when there are plenty of non-park commercial spaces they could buy to use for their project. They just want to use the park because they can get it cheaper.

pixiedoodles
11-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Done. Hope it gets saved! Our kids need outdoor green spaces! :)

Daesul
11-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Our kids need outdoor green spaces! :)

We all do, Em, and in this particular area of London, most people live in high rise flats so don't have a garden of their own. So it's even more important. The area is very densely populated and there are very few green spaces as it is, without taking away this one.

Thanks for signing!

sugarbeans
11-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Signed - Save our parks!
Nancy

Daesul
11-01-2011, 10:32 PM
The campaign is going well but we still need more signatures!

We also now have celebrity backing! http://www.docklands24.co.uk/news/east_london_comedian_lee_hurst_fighting_to_save_pa rk_from_super_sewer_1_770005

Actually, Lee is a friend of ours from way back (before he was famous) and it's great that he still lives in the area and is still a good mate!

HandyWoodcrafts
11-01-2011, 10:51 PM
With current climate change you would think these companies would want to help preserve green sites not destroy them. I am all for saving parks in urban areas. I geuss up here in Scotland we are lucky as our population would fit into London but that still dosent stop some green areas getting swallowed up buy construction etc.

I got my e-mail confirming my signature aswell.

Drew

Daesul
11-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Thanks Drew. We're realistic - we know that sometimes green spaces have to be sacrificed. But in this sort of area, where this park is the ONLY green space, it's just not on. Especially as there are alternative brownfield sites available. And the fact that this park was promised to the locals FOREVER by the King when it was opened in 1922 should count for something!

Also, many people have scattered loved ones' ashes here and have planted memorial trees and paid for memorial benches means that any destruction is actually a DESECRATION.

Let's hope we can make a difference this time.

HandyWoodcrafts
11-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Maybe writing to the Queen or trying to dredge up some form of royal document from the time when it was gifted might help but im sure the people leading the protests have already thought of these things.

indri
12-01-2011, 08:52 AM
I've done this for you!

Daesul
12-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Maybe writing to the Queen or trying to dredge up some form of royal document from the time when it was gifted might help but im sure the people leading the protests have already thought of these things.

Yes, they are already getting local schoolchildren to do a project and write to the Queen. And they don't need documents about the gifting - there's a b1oody great monument in the middle of the park that says it's for the local people forever!

If you have a look at the website though (or maybe it's the Facebook page), there are lots of old pictures of the King opening the park in 1922, plus a memories section for people to write their personal stories.

bohomagic
29-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Seems like worth saving

Daesul
30-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Yes, it definitely is. The local people mostly live in blocks of flats so do not have their own gardens. This is the ONLY bit of green space they have.