PDA

View Full Version : looking for a near miracle

THE DOG
06-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Hi guys, i have no experience with pottery what so ever, BUT i was hoping to learn how to make kitchen tiles to decorate a kitchen i have hand built.

Do you guys think this possable and if so what kind of mony would it take i.e kiln etc.

Thanks D

Roslet
07-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Kirstie Alsopp did something along these lines with Ygerna in her last series.

Here is the link to stockists http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv/kirstie-s-homemade-home/suppliers/surrey-suppliers-services-10-12-13_p_6.html

I am sure if you PM'd Ygerna she could tell you lots more about it.

Daesul
07-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Pottery is a skill which takes years to learn properly and making hand made tiles isn't as easy as you might think. You have to allow for shrinkage, warping etc. It's like expecting to be able to make a tailored suit when you've never sewn in your life.

Also, a new kiln is expensive.

If you want hand made tiles, you'd be better off (financially and otherwise) buying them from someone who knows what they're doing (not me, I hate making tiles)!

Good luck!

Melissa
07-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Hello. Im in agreement with Deasul, however if you wanted to decorate your own tiles there are plenty of paint your own pottery shops cafes etc who could source the tiles and provide you with the under-glazes for the painting and then they will dip glaze (the shiny finish!) and fire for you! Might end up being pricey though! Let us know how you get on - I would love to see the finished product!

AnnieAnna
08-01-2011, 09:47 AM
In my craft shop (the one that hasn't closed down - if you read the other threads) they sell painting on tiles kits. And.....my paint on glass paints say you can paint on tiles with it too.

DIYing real tiles is a nightmare - they curl up and shrink and generally are very annoying. :D

AnnieAnna
08-01-2011, 09:50 AM
But.....where are you D? I have a friend who is called Kate Tiler.....because she makes tiles....for museums (and cafes) and with kids.........

ivarica
11-01-2011, 10:19 PM
As someone allready said making pottery is difficult, and if you have expirience it can be hard to make tiles which will make u happy. But...I believe that you can do what ever you want if you want it hard enough...so try. Find someone who can fire it, because you will need bigger kiln...and play a bit