PDA

View Full Version : Sewing Machines

EliseM
20-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Hi
I'm new to this forum, I've just started a curtain and blind making business. I just wanted to canvass opion about suitable sewing machines. I've been using a fairly basic sewing machine which is fine for most things but not for sewing hand pleated headers, i.e sewing through layers of Fabric, Backram and Interlining. Before I make a big investment in a new machine I just wanted to see what machines other people were using.

Is there a suitable machine on the market which isn't an industrial style sewing machine?

Thanks
Elise

Aileen
21-12-2010, 12:45 PM
I think the Janome 1600P or the Pfaff Grand Quilter are both popular with curtain makers as they are strong enough to stitch through those layers.

Take a sample heading with you to a shop and try a machine before you buy it as they can be quite expensive.

Couture Design
22-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Hiya

I have had my own curtain making business for about 6 years and have always the Janome P1600 as suggested by the previous reply. Its fantastic and does the job perfectly, I also know other curtain makers who swear by it. As curtain makers we tend to only do straight stitching so don't be tempted to buy the next model up, you really won't need all those fancy stitches. Its is great for sewing through lots of layers of fabric, lining and interlining etc. I brought mine from Sewing Machines Direct, an online company that offers great value for money and an excellent services.

Hope this helps

Sam xxxx

EliseM
22-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks Sam,

That is really helpfull information.

Elise

Hiya

I have had my own curtain making business for about 6 years and have always the Janome P1600 as suggested by the previous reply. Its fantastic and does the job perfectly, I also know other curtain makers who swear by it. As curtain makers we tend to only do straight stitching so don't be tempted to buy the next model up, you really won't need all those fancy stitches. Its is great for sewing through lots of layers of fabric, lining and interlining etc. I brought mine from Sewing Machines Direct, an online company that offers great value for money and an excellent services.

Hope this helps

Sam xxxx

EliseM
22-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks Aileen,
That's really helpful.
Elise

AnnieAnna
23-12-2010, 10:06 AM
If you can't get that one I'm using a Janome MS2522. It's the one schools choose, apparently, as it'll take the knocks. I'm sewing a Medieval canvas tent on it at the moment and it's regularly used to sew heavy woollen coat like garments.
Annie
www.anniethepedlar.com (http://www.anniethepedlar.com)

anna1
23-12-2010, 03:15 PM
I use a Babylock machine which was recomended to me by a wedding dress maker, love it, it stitches great. Like one of the comments go to a shop and try them out first.

Anna