PDA

View Full Version : Icing a Christmas cake

Gingerfeef
19-12-2010, 09:34 AM
How long before icing, should I marzipan the cake? I've read various things and am not sure! Also, is it OK to give it a last 'feed' a few hours before marzipanning?

As there's so much snow around I thought it would be a good day to be in the kitchen!

Thanks,

Fiona

jencel
19-12-2010, 10:42 AM
I've always marzipanned my cake the day before icing. The last couple of months has been so busy, in various ways, for me, that the cake that is usually made in October is going to be made today !

Daesul
19-12-2010, 02:07 PM
It's usually recommended to leave it 24 hours, but you can get away with a shorter time if you use white marzipan!

And yes, it is OK to feed it with alcohol again before marzipanning.

removed10
19-12-2010, 05:23 PM
So, y'all cover the cake in a layer of marzipan before adding on some frosting? Whoa! I'm having sugar jitters just imagining it! Sounds very yummy!

Daesul
19-12-2010, 09:45 PM
This is just for rich fruit cakes, Susan. Traditional fare for Christmas and weddings.

First you make the rich fruit cake (being sure to soak the fruit in brandy first). Then when it's cold you pour more brandy on it and wrap it in greaseproof paper for a while. Then you cover it with marzipan. Then you ice (frost) it with Royal Icing (made with egg whites, lemon juice and icing sugar) - some people use fondant icing though.

The marzipan seals in the cake and stops the fruit and alcohol from discolouring the icing (frosting).

As you say, the whole thing is very yummy!

If you want a recipe, just PM me.

bodrighy
19-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Forget the icing, just add another layer of marzipan, then if you want to you can add another one again. In fact forget the cake bit make the whole thing out of marzipan.

(I quite like marzipan )

Pete

MornieG Jewellery
19-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Daesul you have left out about 4 more, then add some more brandy through skewer holes in the top !!!!! Mo.XX

bodrighy
19-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Daesul you have left out about 4 more, then add some more brandy through skewer holes in the top !!!!! Mo.XX

Do you like marzipan as well then Mo? You mean we actually have something common!!!Now I'm worried LOL

pete

MornieG Jewellery
19-12-2010, 11:23 PM
No, just the brandy soaked fruitcake. Afraid I only tollerate the marzipan as a means of holding on the icing :(now have half an inch of icing on the top and that's another matter. Loath the shop bought yellow marzipan even more. Mo.XX

bodrighy
19-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Oh thank goodness for that. I love marzipan and eat it like chocolate, I don't mind the cake but can happily leave that and just eat the marzipan. Icing I can take or leave, the royal icing is OK as is fondant but some icings are really horrible.

Pete

MornieG Jewellery
19-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Slice of nicely aged christmas cake with a glass of Maderia sat by an open fire, snow outside, roll on christmas. Mo.XX

bodrighy
19-12-2010, 11:48 PM
And someone to share it with, must have someone to share it with or it isn't the same.

To get back to the original question, my nan always used to make the cake about September and add the brandy bit by bit until about mid November. A layer of apricot jam (never understood why it had to be apricot) then the marzipan rolled out into sheets and somehow welded together covering the whole cake and then left until about a week before Christmas to ice. She reckoned if you put the icing on before the marzipan had a sort of crust on it the colour would seep through the icing . It may be different now if you are using shop marzipan I suppose.

Pete

MornieG Jewellery
20-12-2010, 12:10 AM
http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/images/icons/icon1.gif

And someone to share it with, must have someone to share it with or it isn't the same.

Oh I agree Pete, any suggestions ??? LOL

My mum made her cake in the same way, always made her own marzipan, so much nicer, none of that horrible aftertaste of the buttery yellow stuff, hers was natural almond colour. Must make one next year LOL. Mo.XX

Rosamundi
23-12-2010, 06:30 AM
Some of us .... err me .... marzipaned and iced a cake all within 20 minutes yesterday ... well it was a mini fruit cake and maybe I forgot to make my dad's birthday cake ... well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

I did use good quality shop bought white marzipan and vanilla fondant icing - just got the others to decorate now form Christmas

greannancrafts
23-12-2010, 07:01 AM
If making marzipan from scratch, ie with whole almonds, then I would leave for a few days to allow all the oil to be released and not come through and spoil the icing.

I always have to make more than I need because I love it:-)

Jnae