PDA

View Full Version : is having a holly wreath inside the house completly mad?!

kaod55
17-12-2010, 05:04 PM
I was shopping with my housemate who is German today and we were talking about traditions and what our families do. She was saying how they collect pine cones and have them inside the house,make wreaths and displays etc. But hasn't been able to find any real ones here.
I saw in a florist a holly wreath and thought we could have one to make up for the pine cones, and I was thinking of having it inside our house, as if we have it on the door it will get stolen. The florist sort of looked at me a bit weird when I mentioned it and now I'm not sure what to do. I was going to have above the fireplace in the dining room as I thought it would look nice, but now I'm not sure.
Where do you put your real holly wreaths? I've never bought one before.

Roslet
17-12-2010, 05:29 PM
You can put your holly wreath wherever you like, when I was little we used to decorate pictures with holly and ivy. The wreath I have on my front door is a rag wreath that I made last weekend so if you holly is inside then I reckon we balance each other out!

bubbleicious
17-12-2010, 05:32 PM
I agree with Roslet, think it would look lovely over a fireplace ( barmy florist lol!)

Daesul
17-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Yes, over a fireplace would be good.

And, speaking as a Pagan, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it coming indoors. Holly is used at this time to snag and trap any bad spirits that try to get in the house!

bodrighy
17-12-2010, 07:24 PM
The only reason it isn't done is because the leaves dry out. We do it and always have as well as making swags with holly, cones, ivy etc. Wouldn't buy one though, they are easy enough to make and cost a fortune to buy. Get yourself some hazel or willow withies (or any bendable stuff like that) and just weave the branches etc into it.

Pete

HandyWoodcrafts
18-12-2010, 01:03 AM
I don't see why not afterall people put cut trees with decorations inside their houses. I think a holly wreath would look kind of cool above the fireplace just as long as it dosn't fall of when santa reverses out the chimney and spikes his rear.

Drew

indri
18-12-2010, 06:59 AM
I hang mine out on my front door - it is not a holly wreath... more a twig one. I don't think it matters where you hang it. It is your house you are decorating and you can decorate how you want! Above the fireplace sounds like a fab idea.

AnnieAnna
18-12-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm singing this really old carol " Deck the halls with boughs of holly, fa la la la la fa la la la."
It's a very old tradition so bring those wreaths inside, gal, bring those wreaths inside.

Sez me having picked one up at a craft fair to hang on my door ;)

removed10
18-12-2010, 05:39 PM
We've always had holly, pinecones and evergreenery in the house, all over the place. Lots of people put wreaths over their mantles.

Might you need to mist it every once in a while??

Hey, how about a cactus pad wreath?? I finally found a pic of one....we used to make them...our church used to gather together and make them for every window and door in the buiding!!

In case my attachment is invalid as usual, here's the url where i got the pic...their succulent wreaths are awesome!

MornieG Jewellery
18-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Definately use lots of natural greenery of all sorts inside the house. Main problem as already stated is our homes are really too warm for them to last to well. I always have one on the front door and one inside in a cooler part of the house. Buy basic ones from the market and then decorated them myself.

Really must get on with christmas in general still so far behind haven't even bought the tree yet, hoping to get one tomorrow if of course we are not snowed in LOL

Mo.XX

bodrighy
18-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Come on girl, what's your problem? We have had ours up for a week (don't know why but SWMBO wanted it up)

Pete

removed10
18-12-2010, 07:21 PM
SWMBO T-shirts are big this year in the catalogs!

MornieG Jewellery
18-12-2010, 08:38 PM
You lost me there SWMBO ????

My problem is / are

1. I work full time.
2. I do virtually everything cooking, shopping, washing, cleaning etc
3. One evening a week is taken up with visiting my dad in hospital.
4. One evening a week is taken up with dance classes.
5. I spend far far too much time on the computer, forums and talking to people on them LOL

TBH No 5 is probably the killer though.................................will get my act together Pete, stop talking and do christmas...............just as soon as I log off here :mf:Mo.XX

removed10
18-12-2010, 08:51 PM
She Who Must Be Obeyed....from Rumpole of the Bailey. His wife.

MornieG Jewellery
18-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Thnaks Susan, don't watch the box except for Strictly Come Dancing which is about to start, the final soooooooo exciting this year, see you all later. Mo.XX

beadsbydesign
19-12-2010, 08:27 AM
And it's official. Kirstie was making wreaths last night and she said "it will last one week indoors or two weeks outdoors"

Rosamundi
23-12-2010, 06:37 AM
Fresh greenery is okay in doors - says she with ivy over her ceiling beams and holly decorating the other bits and it doesn't come down till 12th night - mind you that reminds me to make the door thing today, I don't have a wreath there just tie together bits chopped off the Christmas tree with holly, ivy and anything else I can find with raffia or a ribbon, even if I say so myself it looks quite effective.