PDA

View Full Version : Children's jewellery

icecreamgirl
23-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Am i right in thinking that and childrens jewellery should be made with that stretchy stuff, (can't think what it's called?)
I can't seem to get on with it, what is the best way to finish them?
Whenever i try to knot it the knot just slips undone????????
It's reeeeeeeally annoying me now...:confused:

mjbelkin
23-05-2007, 10:12 AM
There is a selection of "stretchy stuff" available - stretch magic, gossamer floss, elasticity, etc,.

When I use it, I make a surgeon's knot, and then dab a tiny bit of glue on the knot :D

Pretty things
23-05-2007, 10:44 AM
Stretch Magic is widely available and comes in different widths; I usually use the 0.5mm size but use doubled thread. I use the surgeon's knot, glue and then hide the knot under a large-hole bead for a clean finish. Thankfully [fingers crossed] I haven't had one come undone yet. I've seen in some magazines that clear nail polish can also be used but I just feel safer with glue - I was going to say which brand I use but can't recall it, it's in a yellow tube with a black cap. Sorry, senior moment. It will come to me later.

icecreamgirl
23-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Sorry to be thick, but whats a surgeons knot like?
Hubbie will probably know but he's out at the mo...
Yes i've tried the nail varnish trick but it didn't ork, but then maybe if i get the knot right....
Thanx peeps....

mjbelkin
23-05-2007, 12:48 PM
here you go - a surgeon's knot (http://www.killroys.com/knots/surgeon.htm) :D

Pretty things
23-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Uhu!!! The glue is Uhu. There, I knew it would come to me.

Sparklez
23-05-2007, 03:01 PM
if the beads I'm using have a big enough hole, I put a crimp over the knot, and hide the crimp in a bead. Haven't had one come apart yet, but the crimp does need to be over the actual knot.

Carol

Potter Doodle Doo
23-05-2007, 03:12 PM
My daughter does a bit of beading with the elestric threads (I can see her having her own jewellery business when she's older with the amount that she does). When she's finished, I use my own version of a knot that looks very similar to the surgeons knot mentioned To stop it from coming undone, I use a little blob of PVA glue over the knot. She's constantly dressing up, taking one off to put another one on and so far we've not had any problems ..... actually that's a lie, we did have a problem with one but that was because she was teasing the dog with it who bit through and got beads all over lol.

naomi
18-06-2007, 05:55 PM
awww I just tried to paste a picture of the children's bracelets I made but it says I'm now allowed too :confused:

beadsbydesign
18-06-2007, 07:41 PM
awww I just tried to paste a picture of the children's bracelets I made but it says I'm now allowed too :confused:

Hi Naomi
Keep posting... when you reach 25 posts, then you'll be able to add url's and photos. The reason new members are not allowed to is to prevent spamming on the forum. Look forward to seeing the piccies when you get there!

goldy1
18-06-2007, 09:04 PM
I checked them out on your website they look good.