PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Show

candles by lisa
23-05-2007, 08:38 AM
Has anyone had any experiences of doing Wedding Shows. I have been asked to go to one but the fees are nearly 400 for 2 days. Is it worth it? The wedding company got in touch with me for wedding favours! I know I wouldn't sell 400 over the 2 days but would the publicity and future orders make it worthwhile?

Cheers all.

Lisa

:confused:

icecreamgirl
23-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Eeeeek, that's a lot of money....
I suppose it depends on how much you want to put into it, you could go for it with a whole wedding range.
Those big pillar candles are popular at weddings aren't they?
Is the show local?
I think with weddings the florist hires out stuff like candles, holders, tealights etc, you could do something like that? At my freinds wedding all her tea light things were about a couple of pounds each to hire, she had them on all the tables in little displays. You could offer a service like that?

candles by lisa
23-05-2007, 09:32 AM
I do a small wedding range however my nephew has asked me to make the candles for his wedding which includes centre pieces and favours. He has said that I can use his idea type thing for the show so was thinking of expanding the wedding range.

I couldn't afford to lose 400 but would I be able to recoup that by taking orders? and for the contacts that I would make with suppliers who may be interested in using my candles?

From a very confused Lisa

beadsbydesign
23-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Just off to school but will reply on my return!

beadsbydesign
23-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Hi I'm back again

Wedding fairs are nothing at all like markets, craft fairs or anything along that line.
Once you begin to think out of that box, then you basically think of a wedding fair as a marketing experience. You are unlikely to make sales or get committments on the day. The clientel are usually brides and their friends and relatives out to see what is available. They are usually 6 months or a year or two away from planning their wedding. They will not be looking to see who has the best deal on anything in particular yet. (if they wanted to do that then they'd look on the www or they'd look in the phone book)
The idea is that they peruse and gather information and then go away and think about things. They may have seen things at the fair that they had never even thought of.
You therefore need to offer the following things:
classy and well designed information, business cards and perhaps some small samples. (brides love samples...) can you come up with something tiny and inexpensive that will make them remember you?
An incentive voucher. they'll be more likely to keep your details then! (say free candle centre piece upgrade or something along those lines) you need a valid until date.
You need a well set out table, think weddings.... creams, ivories, organza. confetti.
You need to talk to everyone. People will remember the friendly outgoing ones. Make each person feel as though they are your top prioirity and that you'd love to be able to be involved with the wedding because it all sounds so beautiful!!
You need to dress smart and business like... present a professional air.
You may not get responses for six months or so or they may come in faster.
Weddings are a great area to be involved in, they are very happy times and there is a lot of money to be made.... but the investment has to be put in for the advertising. You really need to make the desicion as to whether you want to go in that direction. can you face making 200 identical wedding favours? if yes then go for it, if no then don't!

swirlyarts
23-05-2007, 10:50 AM
I must admit I've toyed with the wedding stationery idea for a while now. I made a friends wedding invitations and I must admit that I got bored making the same invite over and over again. i was doing it at mates rates so whether I would feel better if I were making more money then.....

icecreamgirl
23-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Good advice above!!
Along the same lines, if you do go for it i would say definately take someone with you who is prepared to chat to the people as well as you, as if you are on your own and a few people come over, you don't want them to feel like you are rushing them to get on to the next one....
That's a big thing about weddings, i went to a very posh venue recently and the staff there had very much the attitude that the couple were just the next on a very long list.... they weren't impressed at all with the impersonal manner!!

indri
23-05-2007, 03:17 PM
I went to a few wedding fairs (as a bride to be) and didn't find them that useful except for getting some ideas on wedding cars... I think you might be better off getting onto one of the wedding forums where B2B's are going to be asking for favours/invites etc... you can be on hitched as a HIB (Hitcher in Business) and then sly your trade when people ask for help in your line. Most wedding fairs only have 1 representative from each wedding thing (1 car company, 1 cake shop, 1 photographer etc) so for that reason they weren't the best places to get info so I went to about 3 then gave up on them!

deezkatz
23-05-2007, 03:58 PM
I had pretty much the same query really, but beads by design, you have answered it greatly.
I've booked three wedding fairs, certainly not at 400 though, and they are only day bookings, but I need to advertise my website more and further afield.
So thats what I will be using the fairs for, I'll make up samples of stationery that can be purchased on the day etc but I know that I wont make my money back there and then - hopefully the sales will come in after.
Thanks again, a useful thread for me.
Deanne

EMEvans
23-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Deanne,

not sure if this would be worth it but have you thought of making some sample cards with all your details inside. That way they have a freebie and all your details presented nicely. You could just give these out to the ones you think are really interested.

candles by lisa
23-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Yep that is an idea. Still undecided what to do - will mull it over for a day or two. Thanks for all the advice.

Lisa

:D

Potter Doodle Doo
24-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Some great ideas on this thread .. thanks for asking the question Lisa. Am not sure if wedding fayres are the right place for me as yet, but may give them a go to promote wedding platters in the future :-)

Annette
24-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Lisa

It's an aweful lot of money to lay out with possibly no immediate orders. Looking at the cost to you - will it be a very big wedding fayre and will there be any other businesses offering the same as you (obviously not as good as you)? Do think about it hard before you make a decision.

candles by lisa
24-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Hi Annette,

It is a flippin hard decision. I really cant afford to be out of pocket 400 but it is a really big event and according to the organiser I don't "think" there will be anyone doing what I am doing but how many times have we heard that old chestnut.

I will need to think very long and very hard. Things are quite quiet just now so I don't know if I am better putting money like that into some form of advertising - but my head is swimming with it at the moment.

Cheers.

Lisa

Snow angel
24-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Is there not anyone that would go halfs on a table with you. Im like you i would love to do a wedding show with my wedding towle cakes but that would be a lot of money and would hold me back a bit

Snow angel
24-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Oh and p s is it you that did the wedding cake candle i want to see what 1 would look like on top of my towel cakes so may have to order one off you

deezkatz
24-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Deanne,

not sure if this would be worth it but have you thought of making some sample cards with all your details inside. That way they have a freebie and all your details presented nicely. You could just give these out to the ones you think are really interested.

thats a great idea actually, normally i just leave the insert blank, but i will start on that, thank you

candles by lisa
24-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Oh and p s is it you that did the wedding cake candle i want to see what 1 would look like on top of my towel cakes so may have to order one off you

Yep it was me with the wedding cake candles. They are roughly 2 inches by 2 1/2 inches and are the ideal size for favours and things.

All the best.

Lisa

:D