PDA

View Full Version : To clasp or not to clasp..

Seahorse
21-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Ive been making necklaces that are longer than the usual 15" that I make, some are kind of long enough to put over the head without it needing a clasp tho it would be a squeeze.
Plus I have it in my head that ladies do thier hair, then may remeber they want to wear a necklace and its easier to put on a snug necklace with a clasp rather than squeeze it on ruining their hair.

My question is, at what length would you stop putting a clasp in the necklace?

beadsbydesign
21-05-2007, 09:20 AM
if in doubt CLASP!

unless the necklaces are 30"+ then I alsways clasp. they still have the option then to just pop it over their head!

Seahorse
21-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Great, thanks.I feel its a nicer way to finish a necklace, I will have to master a nice neat crimp and cover on any longer necklaces I attempt to make.
Not looking forward to it as I feel there will be a gap where the wire can be seen as Id have to get the crimper in the small area.

mjbelkin
21-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Anything that is a squeeze - clasp it.

Anything that is long enough to fit easily over a bouffant hairdo of Marie Antoinette proportions, don't :D

If you're not sure, then clasp it - that way, the customer has the choice ;)

Sparklez
21-05-2007, 11:51 AM
I put a clasp on nearly all of my necklaces, even the really long ones. I find my customes like the versitilty a clasp on a long necklace gives. Some of my necklaces can be worn wrapped 3 times round the neck, but only if a clasp is on the necklace.

HTH

Carol

Seahorse
21-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Just made the necklace, clasped it...then discovered id missed out some beads.Im not a happy bunny.