PDA

View Full Version : Earrings at craft fairs

swirlyarts
17-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Having not done a craft fair yet I need to know - do you let people try on the earrings or just hold them up against their ears? If you do let them try them on, how do you clean them? hoping to make some plastic ones and I'm planning ahead!!
Thanks in advance
Lynsey

littlesnuggler
17-05-2007, 10:28 AM
I don't let them try them on but I do have a small mirror so people can hold them to their ears just to get the effect.

Annette
17-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Swirly

As a consumer I wouldn't want to buy earrings that had been tried on by someone else even if they had been cleaned. When I buy earrings I hold them up to my ears and look in a mirror.

Hope this helps.

beadsbydesign
17-05-2007, 10:34 AM
I think it would effect your sales if you did allow people to try on earrings. No retail outlet allows opeople to try on earrings or indeed to return them unless they are faulty. There are risks of hepatitis being passed in this way but they are very small, but you do not want to open yourself up to being sued over such a thing.

The way I do things is to offer those people looking at earrings a strip of clear acetate with a hole in the top to put the earring through. It can then be held up to the ear with out fingers in the way etc and give a truer view of what the earring will look like. It goes down well with my clients and they will spend much longer browsing before choosing (normally several pairs). It has the side effect also of making your stall look busy and attracting more people to it.

candles by lisa
17-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Hi Lynsey,

I would just let them hold them up against their ears. I think it is like in if they are in their ears they are not returnable (due to contamination risk me thinks).

What I see most jewellers doing is giving them a mirror of some description and letting them hold them up to their ears. Unless they have ears like Dumbo they will get the general idea of what they will look like when they wear them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Lisa:D

swirlyarts
17-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys - you confirmed what I thought but I just thought I would check! BBD - i like the idea of the acetate strip :D

mjbelkin
17-05-2007, 10:42 AM
The way I do things is to offer those people looking at earrings a strip of clear acetate with a hole in the top to put the earring through. It can then be held up to the ear with out fingers in the way etc and give a truer view of what the earring will look like. It goes down well with my clients and they will spend much longer browsing before choosing (normally several pairs). It has the side effect also of making your stall look busy and attracting more people to it.

That's a brilliant idea - is it something you made or bought? And if bought, where from?

:D

beadsbydesign
17-05-2007, 10:52 AM
That's a brilliant idea - is it something you made or bought? And if bought, where from?

:D

I just cut the front of a see through panel on some packaging. I think it gives an air of class to your presentation. the idea came about from watching one of the shopping channels and the lady held up an acrylic earring trree to show how the earring looked and i thought... i can do better than that!
it doesn't cost either and it's recycling you win on every count!

Sparklez
17-05-2007, 12:00 PM
You can actually by clear plastic thingys for seeing how earrings look, if your not confident about making your own. They're really cheap - 1 or so - and I'm sure ebay will have them.

Carol

mjbelkin
17-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Boxes and busts (http://www.boxesandbusts.co.uk/buy-online.php?cat=36&page=1&item=114) sell one for 2.09 :D

swirlyarts
18-05-2007, 02:07 PM
I like the idea of recycling idea!! Might make me one of those if I get round to making earrings!