PDA

View Full Version : First Craft Fair

Moosifer
05-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi,

This morning I, rather rashly, agreed to take part in a very small arts and craft fair in November. I am now panicking about how on earth to pull it off. I have little confidence in my work, but are constantly telling me I should sell it- this is Rhiannan biting the bullet!

I have decided to sell mounted prints and maybe some cards. But that is as far as I have got.

I have quite an extensive portfolio, should I select four or five images and print several copies to different sizes and mount them. Or should I just print one copy of lots of different images? For sizing I am thinking that A3 and A4 are probably best.

Hmmm, maybe I should have one copy of each mounted and then several unmounted ones.

What sort of price would be appropriate? 20 for a mounted inkjet print?

I think those are the main questions for now.

Thanks for reading
Love
Rhiannab
xxx

Lilac Moon
05-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Hi Rhiannab, welcome to the forum, I wouldn't know where to begin with prints, but I can say good luck with your fair, I hope you do well. do remember to take plenty of business cards to hand out, do you have any christmas / winter scenes? they may go best in the lead up to christmas.

FabricGirl
06-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Hello Riannab! I too was really really scared when I did my first craft fair, but the more you do the better it gets. I think your first option of selecting several prints is best and possibly take a small portfolio with you for people to have a look at the rest; you could take orders at the fair and post them but I would take payment first and give them a receipt. I think your price sounds about right, maybe even a little more for an A3 print. Anyway, best of luck and enjoy yourself! I don't know if you've heard of Folksy but they had some useful tips on craft fairs in their blog about a month or 2 ago.
Astrid

AliCat
06-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Hi Rhiannan

It is very difficult when doing your first fair to know exactly what you are going to need so don't worry if you don't get it right first time - I guarantee that you will still be tweaking your layout and product selection after your 100th fair, never mind your 1st!!

I think it is best to start with a good selection so that people can see at least one sample of all the different type of mounts, frames, sizes, etc you offer - I have seen other people with prints who have sample boards of mount colours, frame styles, etc but if you only do one or two different ones then I would go with some actual frames - people can then see exactly how things look.

I certainly think that a portfolio with good sized images for people to flick through will help but you will probably sell most if you have framed prints already made up for people to buy & take away with them there and then.

Good luck with your fair.

Sarahleigh
10-10-2010, 10:31 PM
I have absolutely no experience of this as I do portraits not prints, but just wanted to say good luck.

BlackCactus
11-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Hi Rhiannan,

Good luck at the craft fair, don't be too nervous, it's really not a big deal, just think of it as an opportunity to meet people if nothing else.

I would recommend that you consider getting some postcards of your images made up as this seems to be a popular choice for buyers who like your work but don't want to spend a lot of money. Which, let's face it, is most people out at craft fairs.

That way you get an idea of what images are popular, they get to take your work and your name home with them and something might come of it in the future.

Good luck!
Anna

Craft Events
12-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Hi there,
are you sure you wanna do prints? I only sell original photos, framed or mounted. And - at least for me - the mounted photos sell better than the framed ones. - Postcards are a no-no for me. Because most people prefer larger photos (or prints). Regarding the question for a price, I sell 16x12 mounted photos for 18.00, 10x8 mounted for 7.50, and 6x4 mounted for 3.50. - Do not specialize on one subject. The more variaty you have, the better the chances to sell something. - Good luck. - Feel free to book one of my fairs too. ... xxx

AliCat
12-10-2010, 09:32 AM
I agree that lots of different subjects, sizes and products gives the best opportunity for sales. I have seen stalls do very well at fairs with ranges created from photographs comprising of everything from keyrings through greeting cards right up to Large framed prints. A range of prices is always a good idea for any craft stall.

Have fun at your fair!