PDA

View Full Version : Kiln firing services in London?

Kernowcraft
16-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Does anyone know of a kiln firing service in the London area for ceramics and particularly porcelein?

Thanks! :)

toppotter
19-09-2010, 08:38 PM
I have a feeling that Archway Ceramics might be able to help. Alternatively why not contact London Potters?

Hope this helps

Robin

Kernowcraft
21-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks! :)

Potter Jo
21-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Increasingly I've read on various forums and groups that individuals are looking for this kind of service. If only I had the space, it would seem like a decent way of bringing in a bit of extra cash. One other thing worth a look might be the Kiln Club in Farnham (they have a website) which gives you the opportunity to try out different firing techniques.

CountryLoveCrafts
16-12-2010, 02:28 PM
There are a number of "paint your own pottery" businesses in London. Why not try googling them? They are pretty busy this time of year but will probably quieten down in January. As long as you know the firing temperatures and ramp times of your clay, I am sure they will be able to help. Contact The Guild Of Ceramic Studios if you don't have any luck and they may be able to help you with a business name.

AnnieAnna
10-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Have you thought of contacting the heads of the pottery departments of what used to be the old Art Colleges? They keep changing their names so need googling but I know the John Cass/Whitechapel/Guildhall/now something with London in it has always encouraged links with the community....in other words we used their etching studios when we were not students.
When I was a teacher (of pottery - gosh I've forgotten I was....) my kiln was out of action for a while and a neighbouring senior school let me use their's. It's a thought.
But from where I am now I know one man band potters with an array of kilns in their garage or shed.I would make friends with one of those. I'm sure they'd gladly do a firing for you if you crossed their palm with silver.

Kernowcraft
10-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks for your recent replies and useful advice, I posted this some time ago on behalf of someone else, but hopefully your ideas will prove useful to other people finding this thread too. :)